Arctic Silver 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arctic Silver 5

Arctic Silver 5 is by far the best thermal compound on the market, at least here in Norway. We don't believe we exaggerate if we say that Arctic Silver 5 will be the thermal compound most overclockers will use in the time to come - unless there should come some other stuff that proves to be better on the market, of course.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

I bet toothpaste still beats it.

Comment

Good news

Next time I switch cpu I'll probably use that
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
        Maybe so But I don't have an "expendable" cpu to test it on

So I'll think I'll stay with AS
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'm not touching anything with silver in it, conductivity reasons (even if they claim it doesn't).
          What's the deal with Ceramique, is it supposed to replace Arctic Alumina ?
          Last edited by Admiral; 22 October 2003, 11:51.

Comment

I get the feeling that article is nothing more than a parody ... but that might just be me. Plus, if they really spread Veggimite on the CPU it would have instantly spontaneously combusted into nothing but smoldering ashes.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

LOL...beat me to it!

Comment

Jamm, while Dan is a very humorous guy, the tests are for real. I believe he also states, however, that both toothpaste and vegemite dry out very quickly, thus turning into very very poor heat transfer material.

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

He also says water is pretty good as it can get into the smaller spaces, but of course it dries even faster...

Comment

@Admiral, no need to worry about this type of silver compound, it won't start conducting until you hit quite high tensions, higher than the AC your supplying the system with. It will add parasitic capacitance, but then again they already warn of that.
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Two things I need to point out

One:
                      There IS a BIG differens between plaine white grease and any kind of AS

Two:

I have never been able to "add to much" heatsink grease!
                      In almost all cases the pressure from the sink squessed out all extra making the unessesary grease to be at the edges outside the cpu core.
                      Those that get the "to much beetween" must have coolers with very weak clips!
                      I have also never seen the "extra" grease run down of the hs onto the cpu or motherboard.
                      (Well, some Intel coolers uses a thin aluminium plate with wax on both sides as a kind of TIM and there I have seen all the wax melting and runing down on the mobo)

The only exception to this rule are the "Titan silver grease" that are like cement

Hard cement with rocks in it

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                        @Admiral, no need to worry about this type of silver compound, it won't start conducting until you hit quite high tensions, higher than the AC your supplying the system with. It will add parasitic capacitance, but then again they already warn of that.
                        Well, I might be overreacting when it comes to P4 but I would keep it away from videocards, motherboard chips and AMD processors .
                        Though I guess if you're cautious (I wasn't) and don't spill over traces, pins, and leads as they warn, you should be safe.
                        For the 2 or 3C difference I'll stick with ceramic compounds, better safe than sorry.

Comment

I'd like to try some lead foil some time.

Comment

You could try using a mix of tin and lead, by warming up the heatsink enough you might attain a reasonable state of heatsink-cpu fusion. No more air bubbles! Even beats toothpaste!!!

Comment

how about stuffing solder wire in between heatsink and chip? (though that's probably a bad idea, that stuff becomes fluid under pressure)

AZ
                              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                              X