Kobe Bryant "rape" case: Judge says 'minimal' evidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kobe Bryant "rape" case: Judge says 'minimal' evidence

He basically told the prosecutors that they should consider a settlement since their trial evidence isn't up to the "reasonable doubt" standard.

"Simply put, this court could not make a finding of probable cause... absent reliance upon those inferences supportive of the people's case,"

In fact the only reason he bound the case over for trial is because of the laughably low standard used in Colorado. In most states the charge would have been dismissed.

In fact the evidence shows that she had sex with another man in the single day between going to Bryants room and reporting the "rape" to authorites & getting tested.

IMO this provides reasonable doubt as to if her injuries, which were minimal according to the prosecutions own witnesses, were indeed caused by Bryant. The 'injuries' noted were swelling and microscopic abrasions, which can occur as easily during extended consensual sex as they can during a forced encounter.

This is starting to sound like a prosecutor in search of a "big fish" he can make a name on and a 'victim' who's in search of a payday.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 October 2003, 12:06.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Got to love the lawsuit happy America ... NOT!!

US Judges need to be given the right to say, "this lawsuit is stupid and frivelous, I'm ejecting it from court." I bet most people would think twice before filing lawsuit then.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Only if the defendent would be able to file a counter-suit. That would stop that right away.

Comment

US Judges need to be given the right to say, "this lawsuit is stupid and frivelous, I'm ejecting it from court."
        They do but most of them won't. And as Brian R. said "if the defendent would be able to file a counter-suit" which as of now they are not able to do.

Joel
        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Re: Kobe Bryant "rape" case: Judge says 'minimal' evidence

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid

This is starting to sound like a prosecutor in search of a "big fish" he can make a name on and a 'victim' who's in search of a payday.

Dr. Mordrid
          We'll see about the prosecutor. I'm not sure he really wants to be here anyway. I didn't pay close attention, but I recall that it was the Eagle Co. sheriff who took things into his own hands and moved some of this forward, when it should have been the DA's decision.

Still, I don't have a ton of respect for Bryant right now. He started with, "I don't know what this girl is talking about" and eventually had to move to "okay, I slept with her, but it wasn't rape." I'd be more inclined to believe him if he just owned up to things in the beginning.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

He could see his marketing endorsements growing wings.

Comment

He basically told the prosecutors that they should consider a settlement since their trial evidence isn't up to the "reasonable doubt" standard.
              Which I'm sure the so called 'victim' would be happy with anyway especially if the "settlement" includes a money. We all know that cases involving sexual misconduct are looked at in a different context than most criminal cases. In other words in cases of sexual misconduct you are guility until proven innocent and even then it is something that will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Joel

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel
                In other words in cases of sexual misconduct you are guility until proven innocent and even then it is something that will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Joel
                In which case it would have helped him to be honest from the beginning. Hey, I hope he's not a rapist, but being a lying adulterer, though a huge step up, isn't exactly role model material.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

In which case it would have helped him to be honest from the beginning. Hey, I hope he's not a rapist, but being a lying adulterer, though a huge step up, isn't exactly role model material.
                  Oh, I agree. Not that I consider many of these high paid jocks good role models anyway.

Joel

www.lp.org

Comment

Working...
                  X