Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premier 6.5 Vs Pro

Does Premier Pro Crash less that 6.5?

I've been wondering about upgrading... but am not sure if it's worthwhile...
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Does it crash less than 6.5? Not in my opinion, though the crashes are often for different reasons.

PPro also requires a very fast system and lots of memory to work as a software realtime editor plus several key portions are still works in progress.

One thing that drives me nuts is that it forces you to conform all audio to 32 bit, which means a lot of extra disk storage is necessary since these files are 2x larger than the usual 16 bit samples and you can't turn it off.

Another maddening thing is the complexity of manually adding a single transition between two adjacent clips. In most single track programs (VideoStudio for example) you just drop the transition between the clips and that's it...the program does the rest. In PPro you have to trim half its duration off each clip before dropping the transition.

Then there are things like dog-slow color correction rendering, overcomplexity in producing 3D motion paths (requires the motion and some video filters), the fact that some workability changes seem to have been made for the sake of change etc. etc.

IF you have an RT.X100 or Storm their upcoming PPro drivers mitigate much of these complaints, but for working in pure software mode I find PPro too tedious in its current state of development.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 October 2003, 10:43.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

OK thanks,

That kinda makes me think upgrading is a little fruitless.
      Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Comment

Well seeing as the new drivers for the x100 only supported Pro, I decided to try it out...

Uninstalled all the old stuff (XTools, Premier, etc.)
        Installed new stuff (Premier Pro, New Xtools)

Premier Pro has a nicer feel about it, cleaner look and seems a little faster. Also I have already spoted a few nice changes (in the last 1/2 hour of use) and it hasn't crashed yet.. so on this front things are looking better!

Kane

Comment

I've been using Pro for a little while now and must say I find it much more stable!

So far my only problem with it has been it's "Conforming Audio File" which eats disk space and can result offset audio in output files if you don't give it chance to finish!

Overall I'm very impressed

Comment

Try loading in a 6.5 project with a complex motion effect, including zooming, and see how long it takes to convert it and if it's accurate. Also compare rendering times for effects unaccelerated by your RT.X100. Now imagine what it would be like without it.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

You're still happy with Mediastudio Pro then.

To be honest I'm only using Premier because thats what came with the card!

Comment

No...I'm not "married" to MSPro and use both it and my RT.X100 (Premiere based) in about equal amounts.

I just happen to think that Premiere Pro was released with too many problems still unadressed and that in the absense of a card like the RT.X100 or Storm using it can be quite painful.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that!

I used Media Studio for a while before I got my x.100 and miss several of the features it incorporated such as batch encode... Premier 6.5 crashed far too much for my liking... Premier Pro was a big step... much more stable... but you're right... it was too early.

It is a big shame Matrox don't support MSPro... for one, it would at least give the user the chance to choose.

Comment

I completely agree and have been bugging Matrox to open their horizons for years, but you have a bunch of intractable Premiere-o-philes there

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

lol

Comment

Working...
                      X