ATi is not selling chips, what then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATi is not selling chips, what then?

according to this article: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...002161856.html , it seems ATi isn't selling much of anything. I'm wondering then how come they're so big??? -or where do these numbers come from??

It's professional market.

3D - Quadros are better than FireGLs, due to nV's better OpenGL.

2D - Ati was OEM supplier at first (Ati rage), while Matrox owned professional market.

Since nVidia was better at making OEM deals, they surpassed Matrox, while Ati hasn't taken off yet here.

Comment

I posted a thread about this a while ago, a few things struck me:

1. 3dlabs is a lot smaller than I thought.
      2. Matrox still has a nice chunk of the 2D market.
      3. Appian's still around???

Comment

In the general professional market – both 2D and 3D – NVIDIA’s share is 73%, ATI Technologies’ – 13%, 3Dlabs’ – 4% and other companies, such as Matrox, Appian, HP and so on, occupy 9% of the market.
        While 1% runs whitout any graphics card!

[QUOTE]In the 3D segment of the market NVIDIA holds its crown with 67%, ATI is the second with ATI 24% and 3Dlabs manages to hold 9% of the market. It is interesting to note that according to IDC professional 3D market grew 10% quarter-over-quarter in terms of units.[QUOTE]

While Matrox, s3 etc share the 0%
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

@UtwigMU: you're right...'t was a late night comment

Anyway, I'm surprised Matrox still has 19% of the 2D market. I'm not sure how big a market that is but being n°2 is better than not being there at all...

Still I'm surprised at the performance of Nvidia. The price is showing its importance there. They don't have the best cards but they probably helped create a larger market (where the dominate the "low-end") by having "cheap" cards.

Comment

Working...
          X