Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally unpacking, here's that K8W...

Look, I'm bored, so don't ask.

Sorry for the low res. Coudn't find my bloody normal camera, had to use the miniDV Cam for this.

J1NG

where did you manage to buy the board from?
    Peter

and how much did it cost?

Comment

£450 inc VAT.

:: Edit, D'oh, forgot to give link ::

J1NG

Comment

And here's some more screens of the K8W.

Angled shot of the processor slots.

Close up (as best as possible on a miniDV cam ) of SATA ports.

Shot of the back.

More screens of the rest of the setup later.

J1NG

Comment

Nice, got the CPUs yet?

And are you seriously using that Marvel G200PCI?

Comment

Yes.

And yes.

Just haven't had the time to unpack everything from the renovation. (Can't leave those Opterons out in the open collecting dust while the renovation goes on now can we? )

J1NG

Comment

Here's the G200 Marvel PCI, that's been in service along the following systems since 1998,

Pentium 166Mhz, 128MB RAM
              AMD K6-2 400Mhz, 128MB RAM
              Pentium II 400Mhz, 512MB RAM
              Pentium III 800Mhz, 512MB RAM
              Pentium III 1Ghz, 1GB RAM
              Pentium IV 1.8ghz, 1GB RAM
              Dual AMD MP2200+, 4GB RAM
              (and the latest)
              Dual AMD Opteron 240, 8GB RAM

Looks like this will be the last system she'll be working in though with PCI Express coming up .

J1NG

Comment

OMG what exactly are u planning to do on ur computer?

emulate earth?

Comment

You will have to join the MURC cliamate prediction team, if you post obscene pictures like that

Once up and running, could u advise on what case and power supply u used. It looks alot bigger than ATX!!!

Comment

I thought monks were supposed to be poor.

Nice.. wish I could afford that right now.

Fluff, that's an extended ATX board, 12"x13".. It would fit in my ElanVital S30 case with room to spare. This is the stoutest, nicest computer case you will ever see.

The best deals on computers, computer parts, desktops, laptops, electronics, tablets, software, gaming, hard drives, CPUs, motherboards, cables, and much more. With fast shipping and great customer service from Houston, Texas!

Comment

We are poor. That's why I never pull punches when accepting gifts. If you said I'll give you X, Y and Z, you'd better believe I'll be taking X, Y and Z.

Here's one of the Opterons.

The Opteron's fitted on the board.

Case (Thermaltake Xaser III V2000+)

I did have a shot of the inside with everything inside, but it was too dark. And it was the last one on the cam before the battery died. I'll get a better shot of the inside when I find the power pack again during further unpacking.

Oh, I've used an Antec V520A PSU and Thermaltake's Xaser III V2000+ for the case.

J1NG

Comment

People give you this stuff?? .. maybe I should look into becomming a monk!
                        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Not easy being a monk.

Any tests anyone wants me to try out for them on this system? (so long as it's downloadable and legal )

J1NG

Comment

How manny fan headers does it have?

How fast are those opterons?

Would you mind posting some benches (Cinebench, Photoshop7 bench)?

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Cinebench is a free cross-platform test suite that evaluates your computer's hardware capabilities. Get a more accurate measurement of Cinema 4D's ability to take advantage of multiple CPU cores and modern processor.

I'd like to see what improvement are Opterons over Athlons.

Comment

It has six 3 pin fan headers on the motherboard. But the case already had 7 quite fans available, so I wasn't going to be using any of the ones on the board except for the heatsink fans.

These are only the 1.4Ghz (240) series. No one had the 2.0Ghz(246) series when I bought them.

I'll do the tests as soon as I've finally installed an OS to play with. Don't know whether I want to use WinXP-64 beta or Red Hat 64 beta for the second OS.

Expect some benches tommorow.

Any other tests anyone wants done?

J1NG

Comment

Working...
                              X