Region 2 DVD in Region 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Region 2 DVD in Region 1

My mom got a few DVD's send over from Denmark a while back. She is now asking me to find a way to watch them on her DVD player.. these are Region protected and I assume PAL encoded. Is there anything I can do to play these in Canada ( region 1 NTSC) ?
    I have a DVD burner at my disposal, but I am not sure what I can do to change region code and the PAL encoding. Also the disk is dual layer 5.7GB worth of stuff

.. also why in the world are they region protecting Danish material, which will never be watched by anyone besides Danish people???
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Some players have hidden menus to enable playing of DVDs from other regions. On computers, this is possible with minor software/firmware hacks/plinks. As for viewing PAL on NTSC I am not sure. I had the Amiga game Galaga and it worked, but the bottom portion of the movie was cut off. Maybe the DVD player will have an option for this as well.

The region protect because they can. Primarilly it is for price fixing but in this case, the reason eludes me.

Comment

What model of DVD player does she have?
      I'd be surprised if the DVD player and telly couldn't handle PAL, as most kit in the UK now handles PAL, PAL 60 and/or NTSC, and SECAM.

This site might be able to help find any region free hacks: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/
      Last edited by Rob(QG); 16 October 2003, 11:08.

Comment

Convert it to SVCD...
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Rob(QG)
          What model of DVD player does she have?
          I'd be surprised if the DVD player and telly couldn't handle PAL, as most kit in the UK now handles PAL, PAL 60 and/or NTSC, and SECAM.

This site might be able to help find any region free hacks: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/
          Most North American TVs handle NTSC and NTSC only.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

That's a bit annoying

And I spose that DVD players won't output 50i FPS PAL signal as 50i FPS NTSC? I would think the telly could handle it as it isn't too far out of spec (from ~48i FPS NTSC), considering my old telly could handle 60 FPS PAL.
            Last edited by Rob(QG); 16 October 2003, 16:27.

Comment

It is possible to get an all-region player in North America (particularly online), but not as easy as it is in Region 2. Region-locking was implemented to continue the price gouging in Region 2. Therefore, there was more demand for multi-region and region free players in Europe (and probably Japan, where the price gouging was particularly acute).

Region 2, of course, encompasses both Europe and Japan. Back in the Laser Disk days, it was often cheaper to order LD's from North American companies and have them shipped to Japan. (Even when taking into account the shipping charges and import tariffs.) Manufacturers and distributors hated that, and Region-locking was implemented to stop the practice. It didn't work, of course. It seems everyone in the UK has a region-free player or has applied some sort of hack.

Although region-locking wasn't really aimed at the US or Canada, a relatively small minority of people have been effected: anime fans, Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans, collectors, and people like your mom who get DVDs from Region 2 for one reason or another. Again, because the demand is so small, getting a region-free player is a little trickier. You can try your local DVD repair shop. They might know how to do remove the region lock. There are hacks available for some players as well.

As TransformX mentioned, ripping the thing, re-encoding it as an SVCD, and burning it on a CD is also a possibility.

PAL is not an issue with most new players.

Paul

Comment

Or you can use your burner and rip/reencode the movie and then burn it, losing the menus in the process...

- Gurm

P.S. A great place to get information about this sort of thing is:

This domain may be for sale!

I'm in the forums there, as are a couple other MURCers.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

I thought another reason for regions was for the marketing. Since they didn't release DVDs over the world at the same time, they wanted to prevent people from buying them early overseas.

My favorite story is that NASA put a region free DVD player on the ISS, for obvious reasons, and they got in trouble.
                  Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                  Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Yes, for example Shrek was released on DVD in western speaking countries more or less the same week it finially hit the movie cinima here.
                    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I have a DVD burner at my disposal, but I am not sure what I can do to change region code and the PAL encoding. Also the disk is dual layer 5.7GB worth of stuff
                      Use DVDShrink to compress menus and extras and rip off non-necessary audio tracks and subtitles and you should easily fit it on a 4.3Gb DVD-R. In the process, make it region free

Comment

Well, if your mother can watch it on PC, you can flash a drive fairly easy.

both of drives in house are region free.

If you need a fix for Liteon which is no longer available PM me.

Comment

There are some links for the Liteon region-free util at www.firmware-flash.com
                          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Yes but it was taken off.

I googled the "exe + download" up on some chinese site.

Comment

I asked my mom what player she has, she just told me it was a JVC one. she has a small computer screen, at least compared to their tv, so she was hoping for a way to make it work on the TV. is there a software way I can redo the DVD and burn it to a DVD-R, with north american settings instead?
                              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
                              X