Flat screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat screens

I'm certain it has been asked before but things have changed so much lately so here I go:

What's the difference between LCD, TFT and LCD Hybrid ?
    Are there any other buzzwords we should or shouldn't know about ?
    What are the most important parameters - brightness, contrast ratio, vertical refresh, response time (most don't tell this one) ?

What name brands are considered better (IBM, Philips, LG, Mag, Nec, Samsung etc.) ?

How would you rate this screen for example (since it's one of the only few that gave full specs): http://www.cmv.com.tw/en/product.asp?pid={10DEACB6-880D-4780-9A80-7C6AAC549C59}
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Well, brightness and contrast ratio are certainly important, but response time moreso. And yes, it's the one spec they don't tell you - for precisely the reason that it's the most important, and all but a handful have a VERY HIGH response time.

You're looking for a 16ms monitor, but if that fails a 20ms will do. Anything higher than that will ghost out in games and fast scrolling text.

And...

A TFT is a type of LCD.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I never heard of an "LCD Hybrid", but Gurm is right about the rest.

Keep in mind when he says "VERY HIGH RESPONSE TIME", that's a bad thing, because it takes a long period of time to respond, ie, it's slow.

Contrast ratio is important, the higher the better. Don't even look at anything that's not 400:1 or higher.

I THINK Samsungs are considered the best.

Comment

Yes, TFT (Thin Film Transistor) is a type of LCD (liquid Crystal Display), but they can usually be interchanged for one another if you're talking about computer flat screens.

"Hybrid" means that a display has both digital and analogue inputs (usually DVI-I, which is a combination of DVI-D, the digital visual interface, and DVI-A, which sends analogue signals over DVI plugs - the signalling is the same as on BNC/D-Sub, so you only need a cheap adaptor). Digital input is of course better, since there is no unnecessary D/A and A/D conversion (CRTs need analogue signals, so graphics cards convert their digital image into analogue signals, but Flat Panels need digital signals, so they convert the analogue signal back to digital.. this D/A/A/D conversion is of course lossy, so a digital input is usually better.) Most cheaper LCDs only support analogue in, which doesn't have a technical reason - actually, having digital in only would be cheaper, since you could just leave out the A/D converters. This is purely a business reason: Digital in gives better quality, so the higher models get it. Of course, you can only use Digital In if your graphics card has a digital out (DVI).

One of the best brands in terms of performance and price/performance is IMHO NEC-Mitsubishi. Sharp is top-notch, but expensive. Apples are also excellent, but you need an ADC/DVI adaptor box.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

NEC took a while to catch up but now their flat panels are the best. They just didn't at first realise that people would want consumer-level displays with DVI-D and quick response times.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Well you have to be careful of more than just response time. Its quite common to see TN type glass in some lcd displays, because of the faster switching time and good brightness. However, its got a nasty viewing angle and color inversion when viewed at off-angle. Its quite prevalent in 15" displays due to the low cost. IPS and 'fast response' are an oxymoron, but IPS provides good contrast and viewing angle, however generally lower brightness due to the smaller aperature ration (and hence lower transmissivity). Best stuff out there currently is PVA/MVA glass, which basically has the best of both worlds.. fast response time and excellant brightness/contrast/viewing angle. However it is more expensive to manufacturer and hard to find until you hit 19"

As far as actual glass is concerned, I've been impressed with Samsung and LGE, plus sharp makes a couple very nice glass modules in the 20-21" range.
            Whatever you do, make sure its got a digital (DVI) port, cuz analog lcd sucks.
            Last edited by rylan; 16 October 2003, 16:06.

Comment

I've read of some issues with samsungs monitors. maybe thop knows more, iirc he visits the prad.de forum sometimes.

mfg
              wulfman
              "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
              "Lobsters?"
              "Really? I didn't know they did that."
              "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

@ rylan: 20/21" isn't exactly mass-market. Manufacturers can use better parts in making them thanks to higher margins and richer target market.

I'd say Acer is doing a fair job at selling decent mid-range and even low-end screens. Nec has nice models and Sony seems to be catching up (or trying to at least). Samsung has left me with mixed feelings. They have some good screens, expensive, and some less-good ones. LGE/Philips have very nice picture but the design was sorely lacking (not that their actual, thinner design is my favorite).

Right now I'm using two Acer AL922 on my P750. I just got my third Sony SDM-S73B (B for black) and I'm planning to hook them up very soon. I also got a couple of Sony SDM-S93B 19" but I'm starting to run out of deskspace...maybe later I'll see how they compare to the Acers... (now that I think of it, I also have a couple of Acer AL707 17" -the sub 300€ one, I could try a little comparison too...)

Comment

I'm still very very happy with my Acer AL732, in fact I'm considering getting another since it dropped a bit in price
                  "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

yes, I had one as well. good quality, good price, excellent features...

Comment

I recently found out a brand on google called... princeton... lol... never heard of it.

Apparently they sell 15" - 21" LCDs for a good price... and specs are very impressive. (ok specs)
                      1) 1600x1200 analog (even on 15" model!)
                      2) DVI-d (1024x768 -> 15" ; 1280x1024 -> 17"; 1600x1200 --> 20")
                      3) 25ms response (i guess its not THAT bad)

Comment

Princeton is a manufacturer of high-end TVs.. that's about all I know about them.. that they are good TVs. But what is good for a TV and what is good for a computer monitor is not always the same thing. Mitsubishi makes a damn good 22" and 30" LCD TV, but they aren't that hot as computer monitors, though they were intended to be used for both purposes. They are a bit pricy too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer

1) 1600x1200 analog (even on 15" model!)
                          2) DVI-d (1024x768 -> 15")
                          So the 1600x1200 gets interpolated down to 1024x768, which will make it very blurry, small, and nearly unreadable.

AZ
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Princeton have been making computer monitors for years, they used to be considered high end in the early 90s, then they sort of became almost invisible. Haven't seen a Princeton monitor for many many years so can't comment on the sort of quality they produce nowadays
                            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I've been pretty happy with my Dell 2000FP

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
                              X