Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems installing new SCSI drive, under XP PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems installing new SCSI drive, under XP PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I just got an 18 gig U160 Seagate SCSI drive, and I am having problems installing it. My SCSI controller is built on the motherboard, which is an ASUS P2B-DS. The SCSI chip is Adaptec AIC7890, analogous to the Adaptec 2940. So what happens is that I drop the drive in, the SCSI bios detects it, does a low level format, and the verfies the disk without any problems. I then boot up XP, but the drive does NOT come up under the My Computer Icon. I check the device manager, and it found the drive, says its running, but I don't know how to access it. I ran Plextor Tools (My CD drives are all Plextor), and it also detected the drive. But I don't know how to access it. I went to Control Panel, and clicked on Add Hardware, and it said the drive was installed fine. btw, I know that my SCSI controller is an Ultra2 controller, and that the drive is a U160, but they should still work!
    What I am trying to do is have Windows access the drive, so that I can format it (w/ an NTFS partition).

Thanks,

-V-
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

ummm... you don't know how to create a partition on the drive and format it???

rightclick 'my computer' -> manage -> disk management : on the right the drive should appear. Rightclick on the 'unallocated space' and select new partition. Formatting is done when going through the add new partition wizard.

btw. low-level format doesn't come into play anywhere here. Low-level formatting a drive is not advisable to end-users, ever. It's something the manufacturer does, and is done at factory level for you.

PS. you could have just started windows help and typed in 'create partition' as keyword. It's all explained in there you know...

Comment

The drive is not coming up under 'My Computer'

Also when I right-click My-Computer, it doesn't say manage or disk management. I am running XP PRO
      ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Comment

Originally posted by X-Caliber
        The drive is not coming up under 'My Computer'

Also when I right-click My-Computer, it doesn't say manage or disk management. I am running XP PRO
        Where in my post did I say you have to right-click the drive in my computer, let alone did I claim that the drive shows up in my computer??? That's why you have to create the partition and format it!

If 'manage' doesn't show up when you right-click on my computer, then you're not using the english version of Windows XP or 2000, or you are not using a normal version of windows. Maybe you even changed the default actions of the left and right mouse buttons?

Really, now go read the help in windows

Comment

never mind,I found it - but it was in the most obscure place possible. There is a seperate section called disk management in the Computer Management window, which is NOT part of MY Computer. But your idea of using he help function was very helpful!

Comment

when you right-click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'... guess where you end up? that's right, computer management.

That, or every Windows XP I've ever touched has miraculously added this functionality just moments before I looked at it. Of course it disappeared right after I used it, so only I get this special feature.

P.S. to others: I might seem overly sarcastic in this thread, but the use of lots of capitals and exclamation marks in title and/or post body have this effect on me
            Last edited by dZeus; 14 October 2003, 17:08.

Comment

To be honest, I didn't knew you could access Computer Management that way
              I usually went through Control Panel first, though I do have a shortcut to CM set on the desktop for easyer access now.

I use Partition Magic to tend for disk management needs.

Comment

I just have "administrative tools" linked from the start menu (one of the customization options in the start menu dialogue) so I can get at management, events, services, etc. But yes, you can rightclick->manage.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Hmmm.

I never noticed the Manage menu item (I usually go through Administrative tools).

However, when I click "manage", I get this:
                  Attached Files

Comment

By default XP does NOT put ur My Computer Icon on the desktop. If your My computer icon has a little faint shortcut arrow in its lower left corner, its a shortcut and not the real deal.

If you got the image of the right, then you have a shortcut and will never see the Manage option.

To get the icon on the left (the correct) icon on your desktop, you might right click on you My Computer icon from within your Start Menu and select Show on Desktop

Happy hunting!
                    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

:-)

What a thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X