Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal

Anybody know how to back out of Paypal?

I started to open a Paypal account to pay here and a few other places. I gave them my credit card info and they charged my account with the buck.95, but I've decided not to go further. I just don't like the whole thing and feel very uncomfortable about it. I really want to wipe the whole thing out, but they don't offer you that option anywhere I can see, which makes them even more suspect. Anybody know?
    How can you possibly take anything seriously?
    Who cares?

Nope, they own your soul now, and they won't negotiate. Sorry bud.

Comment

Ha ha, all they've got is 1.95. I've made no transactions, all I want is to close the thing.
      Who cares?

Comment

Well, if you looked through the whole site an cannot find anything, email them asking about your request.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Just closed it.

Found instructions on paypalsucks.com.
          Who cares?

Comment

ROFL. I use PayPal only because I need to use it for eBay. Those two eVil incarnations go hand-in-hand ... which is no surprise since eBay owns PayPal. I got my account for free somehow, and any transactions I make for eBay purposes are free. It's a pain to get an account setup mind you, but it's not that bad.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Re: Paypal

Originally posted by mutz
              Anybody know how to back out of Paypal?

I started to open a Paypal account to pay here and a few other places. I gave them my credit card info and they charged my account with the buck.95, but I've decided not to go further. I just don't like the whole thing and feel very uncomfortable about it. I really want to wipe the whole thing out, but they don't offer you that option anywhere I can see, which makes them even more suspect. Anybody know?
              if you had taken the time and read what came up on the screen when you got the account you would have known that as soon as they had verifyed your account they would have refunded the money
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yeah no shit. Do people read instructions any more?

You're supposed to verify with them the time, date, and amount of the transaction - and then they put the money back. It's part of the verification process!

In my case it was, IIRC, 96 cents and a buck twenty, on two separate transactions.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

what i dont get is why pay pal dosent cater interantionaly.... isn't that the purpous for its existannce..? to simplify and secure internet transactions?
                  "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

ehhh,
                    It works for me and I'm not in the US
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

...I don't like ebay either...
                      Who cares?

Comment

eBay is as bad as MS in my book...

Comment

Dude, what is WRONG with you people?

You didn't read the terms of service, you didn't read the agreement, PayPal is HONORING their side of the bargain, but you're pissed off with them?

PayPal used to suck, UNTIL eBay bought them. They've gained quite a bit of respectability since then.

And what, exactly, is wrong with eBay, besides being an online clearinghouse for shit nobody else wants?

Or is this yet another "it's run by capitalists so it must be bad" rant, Mutz? It's become quite clear that you're anti-education, anti-capitalist, and anti-US. Let's just make it clear where your opinions lie and not have you spewing more claptrap, huh?

I've met the folks who own eBay. Nice, honest, down-to-earth people who seem to have stumbled onto more money than God, and have NO idea what to do with it.

- Gurm
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Hi Gurm, gotcher goat? Guess you can't read the lines as well as between the lines. I'm a capitalist from day one, but any system, company, social group, person that does not get challenged, accosted, put under the microscope, will sink down to the lowest common denominator. And that goes for education and the US too. In case you haven't noticed, outside the US the US has become a generic term for all that's wrong in the world, while in the US it is considered all that is right in the world. When you get identified with one or the other out of your own insecurity, you've surrendered your own identity and individuality and usually end up trying to defend the indefensible either side, and inevitably share it's fate too. If, on that score, you would like some education and get your head pulled out of your ass for you, go spend a few hours with my cousin Senator Robert Byrd. He used to very kindly pull me up before reality and hold my nose in it 'til I got it. Used to hate him for it. Now I'm grateful for it

So, you've been hanging around there in the background looking for some excuse to take a shot at me. So while you are shoving more .22 shorts in your two-shot clip, I'll take a shot at you. Why the hell are you looking for employment when you are utterly unemployable? You aren't an employee type. You are an enterpreneur. You are capable of thinking and doing for yourself. Why are you identifying with the US and Judaeism? Why are you thumbing through references and Googling for other peoples' junk to throw out there when you are perfectly capable of thinking for yourself? Why are you plastering up props like that idiot Marine sargeant, threatening to rip peoples' balls off, when you are actually a kind-hearted person who would like to be the way you are, but your environment niether condones nor nourishes what you really are and would really like to be?
                            Try it.

Now as for Paypal, you are making assumptions based on yourself. You don't know whether I read the Paypal agreement or not. I did. Every word. I'm not pissed off. I checked in to Paypal because I wanted to pay for a few things and other alternatives looked less convenient. I thought about it again for a while and decided it was not what I wanted. I also don't like things that have the way in well greased and the exits unmentioned and unmarked. That's all. I don't like ebay because one, I'm not greedy to make a steal of a bargain, and two, I don't like that whole shark feed frenzy atmosphere. I also don't like installing some software and afterwards finding an ebay icon smacked on my desktop. If people want to jerk off over ebay one way or the other, I don't care. The people who run ebay may be wonderful, but so what? There are lots of nice people in the world, but am I obliged to take whatever they are selling?

So learn to read things the way they are written without planting the whole load of assumptions and wrath you have built up for the world on it.

As for the rest, see sig.
                            Who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by mutz
                              Hi Gurm, gotcher goat? Guess you can't read the lines as well as between the lines. I'm a capitalist from day one, but any system, company, social group, person that does not get challenged, accosted, put under the microscope, will sink down to the lowest common denominator. And that goes for education and the US too. In case you haven't noticed, outside the US the US has become a generic term for all that's wrong in the world, while in the US it is considered all that is right in the world. When you get identified with one or the other out of your own insecurity, you've surrendered your own identity and individuality and usually end up trying to defend the indefensible either side, and inevitably share it's fate too. If, on that score, you would like some education and get your head pulled out of your ass for you, go spend a few hours with my cousin Senator Robert Byrd. He used to very kindly pull me up before reality and hold my nose in it 'til I got it. Used to hate him for it. Now I'm grateful for it
                              Senator Byrd? Reality? ROFLMAO.

That's a new one. He's a SENATOR. A senior senator, at that. His concept of "reality" is so far removed from mine that I don't think our universes intersect for more than a couple of superstring widths.

So, you've been hanging around there in the background looking for some excuse to take a shot at me.
                              Nope. I'm an equal opportunity offender. You've just been automatically gainsaying things lately. It's like Monty Python says:

"I came here for a good argument!"
                              "No, you came here for an argument."

"An argument is ... not just the automatic gainsaying of the other person's point of view."
                              "It can be..."

So while you are shoving more .22 shorts in your two-shot clip, I'll take a shot at you. Why the hell are you looking for employment when you are utterly unemployable? You aren't an employee type. You are an enterpreneur. You are capable of thinking and doing for yourself.
                              Being entrepreneurial requires capital and risk. I have no capital, and the wife isn't fond of me taking a risk unless I have something to fall back on. So I'm looking for a "day job", as it were. I thought this was abundantly clear, but apparently you can't read.

Why are you identifying with the US and Judaeism?
                              I identify with the US for two reasons:

1. I was born here, and live here.
                              2. For all our flaws (and they are legion) we've got it MORE right than anywhere else. There is no other country in the world which people fight to get into. There aren't any boatloads of refugees trying to get from Cuba into France (barring the geographic difficulties that would present of course).

I identify with Judaism because I'm a Jew. I was born one, and while I wasn't necessarily raised one, I'm certainly a believer in a single God. Although... the possibility that there are OTHER beings which exist outside the scope of the universe as we know it is an interesting one.

Why are you thumbing through references and Googling for other peoples' junk to throw out there when you are perfectly capable of thinking for yourself?
                              I'm not entirely certain what you're referring to here. But frankly if your definition of "thinking for yourself" is plastering up neo-marxist, automatic gainsaying, knee-jerk claptrap like you've been spewing lately... then I want none of THAT, thank you very much.

Why are you plastering up props like that idiot Marine sargeant, threatening to rip peoples' balls off, when you are actually a kind-hearted person who would like to be the way you are, but your environment niether condones nor nourishes what you really are and would really like to be?
                              Ahh... the dichotomy of character. Am I a kind-hearted person? Am I YOUR definition of a kind-hearted person? I somehow doubt it. I'm generous to a fault with friends. I'm absurdly forgiving of service personnel (just because you're behind a desk or on the other end of the phone doesn't mean you need to get yelled at). I like kittens.

But I also don't suffer fools very well. Mediocrity ticks me off. So do Democrats. (Best Cartman voice should be used here... "DEMOCRATS PISS ME OFF!!!")

And you would know precious little about my environment. There's nothing here that discourages or doesn't condone any amount of sensitivity I want to display (other than Julie wishing I'd "take charge" a little more often, if you know what I mean).

Besides all that, even in the most kind-hearted person there's an element that's screaming "I'm gonna kick your ass you malodorous puke!"

Try it.
                              I am trying it. I'm getting there, slowly. Trying NOT to become my father along the way (and THAT's a hard task, just ask anyone who's reached middle age).

Now as for Paypal, you are making assumptions based on yourself. You don't know whether I read the Paypal agreement or not. I did. Every word. I'm not pissed off. I checked in to Paypal because I wanted to pay for a few things and other alternatives looked less convenient. I thought about it again for a while and decided it was not what I wanted.
                              No, I'm making assumptions based on your own post. Actually, if I add in some punctuation, and change the voicing a bit (see our other thread on literacy in which you ALSO disagree with me) then I SUPPOSE it could be interpreted to say that you got the heebie-jeebies halfway through a secure banking transaction which was already in progress.

I also don't like things that have the way in well greased and the exits unmentioned and unmarked. That's all.
                              You should know better. I almost think that makes it WORSE than if you hadn't read the agreement! You start a secure banking transaction. The LOGICAL next step would be to COMPLETE the transaction, let them put the $1.95 back into your account, and then CLOSE YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT. That is pretty straightforward. But no, you wanted to sidestep the entire process, which is just BEGGING for something to go wrong. I've met other people who did this... got a credit card, made a bunch of charges, reversed them all, and then immediately closed the card account... and WONDERED why a few of the charges never got cleared properly!

I don't like ebay because one, I'm not greedy to make a steal of a bargain,
                              Neither am I. I do, however, like to buy things used. I don't like the "disposability" culture that we have cultivated. If a used item fits my needs, I'll get it. Also, it helps that I'm Jewish and like spending as little money as possible to solve a problem.

and two, I don't like that whole shark feed frenzy atmosphere.
                              Me neither. That's a sad but unavoidable reality. Tell me how to have an online auction site WITHOUT people finding ways to cheat the system. A real-life auction is better because there's no way to "cheat", but there also isn't the potential of getting as good a deal.

I also don't like installing some software and afterwards finding an ebay icon smacked on my desktop.
                              Well who does? That's the fault of eBay marketing. But this is where I get all upset. Do NOT confuse a company's corporate and/or marketing policy with their products. If you are so concerned, don't use the product. But don't make out like it's a BAD product. I think HP is a bunch of Schmucks. They've been anticompetitive for years with their PCL language. Their software is bulky and disgusting, and plasters AOL ads all over my machine. But you know what? They make REALLY GOOD PRINTERS. I don't sit here mocking people that have HP printers, now do I?

If people want to jerk off over ebay one way or the other, I don't care. The people who run ebay may be wonderful, but so what? There are lots of nice people in the world, but am I obliged to take whatever they are selling?
                              You think we're "jerking off over" ebay? What gives you that impression? Some of us use it. We find it frustrating, but there's no reason to equate them with the devil. They aren't out to get you. They haven't taken your money - or anyone else's that I know of. Since they took over PayPal, THEY haven't taken anyone's money either, that I'm aware of.

And you know what? The reality of things is that when people make a lot of money they get very hands-off with their companies. Do you think Bill Gates himself is so evil that he wants to squish everyone? I seriously doubt that he has that much force in his personality. He's a geek. Geeks aren't that ambitious. He doesn't run Microsoft anymore, and that's just the way it is.

Ebay is now run by marketing types in suits. That's just the reality of things. But for you to insinuate (and you ARE insinuating it, no matter what) that BECAUSE things get out of people's hands once they make a lot of money that makes them BAD PEOPLE, and makes their product BAD, is just foolish. It's your pseudo-intellectual ranting again, and makes no sense at all.

So learn to read things the way they are written without planting the whole load of assumptions and wrath you have built up for the world on it.
                              You know what? This AGAIN ties into our other disagreement. You're CLOSE to literate in English. Take the time needed to get the rest of the way so that you aren't completely misunderstood! I'm not the only one that read your post and came to the conclusion that you were shocked over them taking your money! You just wrote it poorly!

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X