Holy Shit !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Shit !!!

Lenslet is going to present their technology at MILCOM.
    I'm talking her about:
    the first commercially available Optical DSP capable of up to 8,000 Giga MAC operations per second
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

More direct info
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

it seams like every time i think to my self "why the hell is this kind of technologi not available yet" up it pops... ... i should work as a psykic
      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Originally posted by SpiralDragon
        it seams like every time i think to my self "why the hell is this kind of technologi not available yet" up it pops... ... i should work as a psykic
        Sorry Spiral, but that jobs taken round here.

J1NG

Comment

lol.... .... then you should be Known as the MURC COC Minister of Confused Monkish Fortune Telling (MCMFT)
          "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

yes.... i know ... its getting old..... ....

Comment

Mmmm. Optical core.

Comment

What the hell's a Giga MAC operation?? Sounds like a rush rush hamburger job at McDonalds.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Lenslet's innovative EnLight256â„¢ is the world's first commercially available vector DSP with an embedded optical core. The EnLight is a fixed-point processor comprised of three elements: a Vector Matrix Multiplier (VMM) capable of performing vector-matrix operations at a rate of up to 8000 Giga MAC operations per second; a Vector Processor Unit (VPU) capable of performing 128 Giga operations per second and an industry standard DSP (TI TMS320C64xx) for control and scalar processing (SPU). The EnLight256â„¢ could be used either as a system-embedded accelerator or a standalone processor for computational intensive types of applications.

Comment

MAC = Multiply-ACcumulate. Useful for doing things like matrix multiplication. Obviously, a Giga-MAC is a billion MAC operations.
                    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

So that thing is fast??

Maybe if someone told me a real application for sucha device than maybe I wouldn't be so confused. (it is for running nasa stuff? Cray computers? Calculators? Password crackers?)
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I didn't understand either, but I found this...

Multiply-accumulate is an important and expensive operation. It is frequently used in digital signal processing and video/graphics applications. As a result, any improvement in the delay for performing this operation could have a positive impact on clock speed, instruction time and processor performance. In this paper, we show how, by extending our view of a parallel multiplier, we can apply recent innovations in parallel multiplier design to multiply-accumulators. This application results in multiply-accumulators that are as fast as multipliers of the same size (these multipliers have been shown to result in provably optimal delays faster than current designs). This allows a single (optimal multiply-accumulate) circuit to be used for both operations without delay penalty. As a result, multiply-accumulate can be efficiently and effectively implemented as an instruction in RISC CPUs. Additionally, the circuit design reduces the number of devices needed over current fast multiplier designs, so that real estate and power savings also result.
                        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

will it play Solitaire?
                          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Macs are used for digital Filters e.g. FIR ( Finite Impulse Response) filters, where you take your digitized waveform and multiply each point with a filter coefficient, then add all these to form a new point in the output... and I guess you can make them play solitare too, if you really wanted to
                            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                              What the hell's a Giga MAC operation?? Sounds like a rush rush hamburger job at McDonalds.
                              Nah, just a very large quantity of burgers. Haven't you seen the signs.. Billions and Billions Sold?

Comment

Working...
                              X