Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Basic Data Transfer Rate Question

Hi,

A simple question, the Ultra 160 SCSI specification states a data transfer rate of 160M/s, and the Firewire specification states a data transfer rate of 400M/s. But isn't the 32bit PCI bus standard set at 133M/s? So how are these transfer rates achieved. or are they only "theoretical?"

-V-
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

Yes, you're right. A 32bit 33MHz PCI bus is not fast enough to take full advantage of a U160 or FW at full speed. But also keep in mind that most U160 (and U320, I would assume) is used in 66MHz 64bit PCI systems, so that's not really a big problem.

Comment

But there are U160 cards for 32bit PCI buses (although I don't have one). The same holds for firewire cards.
      ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

Comment

Yep, you can't use their full potential then, but that hardly matters - no single drive can saturate even 133 MB/sec, so it only matters for cached bursts, which are very small anyway.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Or for RAID arrays.

But yes, you're 100% correct in assuming that it's a waste of power.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Right - PCI is too slow.

As an aside, the FireWire rate is 400 Mbits, not 400 MBytes per second. Standard 32bit/33MHz PCI can handle FW400 and FW800 just fine.

- Steve

Comment

Originally posted by albatorsk
              Yes, you're right. A 32bit 33MHz PCI bus is not fast enough to take full advantage of a U160 or FW at full speed. But also keep in mind that most U160 (and U320, I would assume) is used in 66MHz 64bit PCI systems, so that's not really a big problem.
              Even moreso, in recent systems, PCI-X slots (not to be confused with PCI Express !) are used. They are specced at: 64 bit, and have speeds of 33 MHz, 66 MHz,
              100 MHz and 133 MHz (IIRC it depends on the number of PCI-X devices present on the bus).

I've only seen U160, U320 and gigabit ethernet cards on PCI-X. Indigita is said to come out with a PCI-X Firwire 800 card within a couple of months.

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Oh, I've seen plenty of standard PCI U160 and gigabit ethernet devices. No U320's though.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                  I've only seen U160, U320 and gigabit ethernet cards on PCI-X. Indigita is said to come out with a PCI-X Firwire 800 card within a couple of months.
                  Hmm, this could indeed be misinterpreted... I've also seen U160 and gigabit cards on regular PCI... What I've meant to say is that I haven't seen other cards with a PCI-X interface apart from the ones mentioned...

(but, euhm, don't most PCI-X card work i a PCI slot ?)

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                  X