new toy ( axis storpoint cd server)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new toy ( axis storpoint cd server)

picked up 2 axis storpoint cd/t servers 10t, no box or drives.

anyone have experience with these

one works and i can access the cd rom, the other one
    has 2 flashing lights( code reads a bad flash rom)
    i'm planning on leaving resource material on them for the kids
    ie: world book, encarta, grolier, and others

the price wasn't to bad...........$15.00 each

i can access the test drive through maping but i can't get at the
    http hardware setup( haven't read the whole manual yet ether)

thanks
    cal
    another dawg basking in the sun

iwill xp333-r, xp2500@ 340ddr :need better ram

We have an 7 cd axis tower at work, it works well but might need the occasional reset if it disappears off the network..

The softwre that is availble for it is not really necessary...in fact the version I used was a pain, i Just browse to the network or map a network drive as necessary.

The client software may be necessary if you want to install cetain comercial program from the the CD tower, but otherwsie I would not bother.

I have not played with the config, (no need) , as it was configure by the dude who installed it.

It seems reaonably reilable, but we have it connected using novell.

As to your "bad" one have you tried getting a firmware update form axis?
    Last edited by Marshmallowman; 13 October 2003, 00:00.

Comment

thanks for the reply Marshmallowman

the "bad one" was handed off to a nephew to experiment with, it
      looked like someone had a bad flash or ?. he can fight with it.

i am now looking for some scsi cd drives , have 3 to start with( will leave wifes computer without a cd drive for a while)need 3 more to fill scsi tower.

i'll leave the config software for a day when i want something to bang my head against.

thanks again
      cal
      another dawg basking in the sun

iwill xp333-r, xp2500@ 340ddr :need better ram

Comment

What speed drives are you looking for? (also, what SCSI bus width?)

I have several (all narrow SCSI-2) ranging from 4x to 32x:

Toshiba 6.7x (can't remember the model number, and I don't want to take it out of the Indigo2 workstation at the moment), a Ricoh MP6200S CD-RW drive, Philips 8x, Panasonic 24x, and a Panasonic (I think) 32x.

I can easily part with the Ricoh and Philips, and the Panasonic 24x is probably OK as well (the Toshiba has the distinction of being able to boot the Indigo2, and the 32x is in my (soon to be) file server).

Let me know if you want any of these - cheap

- Steve

EDIT: by "ok" above, I mean available. The drives all work, to the best of my knowledge.

Comment

We had two of these setup at the school I use to help out at and we actually ditched them. If more than one student accesses the same CD at the same time, immense slowdowns would ensue. What we ended up doing was using a 2K(You could use *nix) server with the CD directories shared out as read-only. With a Duron 900 (Leftover) and 384MB of ram this handled just about everyone with minimal slowdowns. Any CD that can work in a tower will work in this way. Some you have to make absolutely sure you map a drive letter to the root of the CD and not a folder containg all the CDs.

You would probably want to make sure that not more than one kid was using the same CD at the same time using the towers especially with multimedia content involved.

Comment

Working...
          X