Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So why would XP do this? (CPU u/g causes problems)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So why would XP do this? (CPU u/g causes problems)

I was asked to upgrade the CPU on an PC with a PC Chips M810LR, 1100 Duron, 256MB PC2100. Gfx

were an AGP Geforce2 MX400 (onboard AGP not used).

The new CPU is a XP2400+ and the BIOS was dated 2001 so I flashed the latest BIOS (08/08/03) and

then booted into Windows XP (corporate version). Unfortunately at the point the desktop should

load all I got was a blank screen. I tried all combinations of settings in the BIOS (ACPI etc etc

etc) but to no avail.

(Incidentally, the AMI flashing prog doesn't give you the option to save the old BIOS - unless

you use command-line switches as I found out later, so I can't go back to the old BIOS - yeah, I

know, BIOS flashing 101 )

I went into safe mode and saw quite severe graphics corruption. I deleted the card in Device

manager and went back into full mode. I got to the desktop and things looked fine until (I

presume) it re-loaded the driver for the card and then we were back to a blank screen.

Back into safe mode, delete the card, shut down, replace the card with a Riva TNT2 that was

lying around. Into Windows, card detected, drivers installed, no more problems!

Things stalled a bit on subsequent reboots, but a defrag seemd to take care of that.

I haven't yet had a chance to try the old gfx card elsewhere to see if it really is fubared.

SO the PC went back. Next day I hear it booted perfectly the first time it was used. 2nd time

its back to the blank screen instead of the desktop.

I get it back tomorrow. Any ideas please? My current plan is to do a fresh install of XP and

then a million reboots before it goes back.

TIA

T.
    FT.

Try installing XP over itself - this procedure has helped me often, since Win95. XP keeps most of the settings when you do this, and you don't have to reinstall apps.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

@Fat Tone: since your problems seem to have started right after you flashed the BIOS, have you tried either going back to the Duron or flashing another BIOS?

Comment

Are you sure you flashed the bios with the right PCB version ?
        I would reinstall the OS as az suggested.

Comment

@Az - it's not much more hassle to do a complete install - its mainly an Office machine.

@Kurt - I didn't put the new CPU in until later - i.e. same symptoms with both.

@Admiral/Kurt - yes, I'm sure it was the correct mobo version, according to the lettering on the mobo. In any case, they now have one BIOS cover a range of mobo versions.

They seem to have completely removed all older BIOSs from the site. Going back was my first thought.

So, hopefully a complete reinstall will solve it. What puzzles me is why it happened? Why would it happen, and then be ok overnight and fail with the same symptoms the next day?

Cheers

T.
          FT.

Comment

Hi,

Try setting to AGP 1x?
            And re-install chipset driver too....
            P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
            Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I've had this happen with 95 when I flashed my BIOS... don't know why, though.

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

After flashing the bios did you load the default settings? I have in the past had problems with a new flash that are fixed by loading the default settings, then after rebooting go back and setup the bois to your needs.

Jeff
                -We stop learning when We die, and some
                people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
                Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
                - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
                - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

try putting the old Duron 1100 back into the system. the board might have compatability issues with newer processors.
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Would you f***ing believe it?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry: I emailed asking him to bring the mobo CD with the PC and this is the reply I got:

Hi Tony

Thanks for getting in touch. In fact when I came home, I found someone had switched off the screen! I switched it back on again and have so far had no more problems. I think I will run it for a few days and just see if the problem recurs-I am crossing my fingers that it wont (and keeping other peoples fingers away from the screen off switch!)

Ah well....thanks for all the suggestions anyway

/me sobs.

T.
                    FT.

Comment

ROFL, I was about to post a reply then I saw your last post
                      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

hehe I've been wondering all night just exactly how to reply to him - sarcasm being the preferred choice. Unfortunately he's the boss.

T.
                        FT.

Comment

Argggghhhhhh! How frustrating...
                          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Congratulations

You have been in a "computer stupidity" Story
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

niiiiice...
                              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
                              X