red tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• red tape

I have been on the forums much more than usual lately. So I thought I’d take this opportunity to explain (winge) why.

I started my first job as a doctor back in August. The weekend after my first week I collapsed Andrea witnessed me convulsing on the floor. I was admitted to the local hospital where I was diagnosed with hepatitis (Temp. 39.4’C, ALT 749).

I was signed off from work for a period of two months wile I recovered. After the first week of my sick leave I was feeling much better, although very tired. Seven weeks later not much has changed.

I got a letter six weeks into my sick leave saying that due to my length of service within the NHS I went onto nopay two weeks ago. As you can imagine I was livid.
    I contacted the Human Resources department to find out more information and it turns out that as I have less than 4months service, I am entitled to only 4weeks sick pay. I was placed in the situation where I had to either come back prematurely or essentially be unemployed. I told the department that I was not ready, but three weeks later I realised that I could no longer afford not to be paid. My fiancée has multiple sclerosis and as a result is unemployed. Statutory (governmental) sick pay here is £52 a week – that doesn’t even remotely cover my mortgage.

Anyway, I was forced to go back to work. I contacted the HR department to see if I could go back on reduced hours. I was essentially told to comply with my rota or quit! I contacted Occupational Health to see if there was anything that they could do. There opinion was that:

a) me returning to work early would delay my recovery.
    b) potentially put my patients at risk due to my excessive tiredness
    c) potential ability for me to transmit my illness.

There recommendation was that I should take one month off work on compassionate grounds (full pay) until the matter can be resolved. They were overruled by HR.

I contacted my union who were of the opinion that as this was a potentially hospital acquired illness I should be on full pay regardless. They were ignored.

I was due to commence a series of night shifts starting from tonight. I made it clear that I did not feel safe on the grounds that I might not be able to get enough sleep in between shifts. I was ignored.

I was on the phone ALL day. I received a phone call 30mins before my night shift was due to start to say that I would not be required to attend; which is good.

According to my union I am owed over £2000 in sick pay, and according to occupational health I should not be there at all.

I have to see a consultant gastroenterologist next week (hopefully) and his decision will be final. In the mean time I am getting paid bugger all. Instead of resting, I am on the phone every trying to get this sorted. All because the trust’s attitude is to ‘withhold payment now and sort it out later’.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Bummer

If you're under UK law I don't think theres much you can do. In the UK unless it's changed you've got ot be employed for two years before you're fully covered.

How strong is the Union. By the sounds of it not strong enougth. Sadly a by product of the too strong Union run by a few thugs.

Maybe worth having free legal advice over your employment contract and work conditions there maybe something in there.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

the union is strong enough.

I have both the unoin and the occupation health department behind me... is should only be a matter of time.. but who knows.....

I am potentially owed over £2000 and eligable for another month off work....
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Not much I can say other than "Good Luck" Paddy. Oh, and when you're coming down to London drop me a line.
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

The Emploer should never behave like this. Yet I bet you'll find toatl tossers that get away with averything cos they know the system.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I'll pack my Flak cannon!

Comment

I can Imagion the wards.

Boom Boom Boom.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

TP: Yeah.. but it's my first job and i dont know better.

Comment

Just view it as a stepping stone and move on.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I think our posts are out of synch.

me thinks that bringing a flak cannon onto the ward is a bad idea.

A redeamer on the other hand.....

Comment

Hope it sorts out soon, though judging by the first thread and this, they seem to be real ****oles.

Comment

yeah... occy health think thay their behavior is ****ing awefull

Comment

fcked up situation

And a hospital should now better

Hope you get better soon and that everything else solves themself
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Cheers matey

Comment

Hmmm I don't fully understand the situation....cuse i was to lazy to read everything.. but..."Hope you get better soon and that everything else solves themself "

all the best man!! we all stand behind you with our shotguns loaded!

Comment

Working...
                              X