Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boot from keyboard - does it work with cordless as well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot from keyboard - does it work with cordless as well?

Ok possible stupid question....

I've set up my bios to boot when I press a key on the keyboard. I'm gonna buy a cordless keyboard (like the logitech cordless desktop). Can I assume that it will still work, or does the cordless not accept input until the machine is on?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

I have not tried this, but the keyboard should be seen by the computer as any other keyboard, hence it should work
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

It should work. Batteries are in the keyboard, it sends a signal to the usb or ps2 connector. Nothing to it

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Good point, I'd also like to know...does the ATX standard give some power to the keyboard's receiver at all times, even when the computer is shut down?

edit for Helevitia: But what you say can only work if the receiver is in some sort of powered mode, otherwise it would be like trying to use a remote to turn on a TV that's been closed from its power button.

Seriously now, can someone with a cordless keyboard just try this?
        Last edited by lecter; 9 October 2003, 09:01.
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

lecter:

Yes, there's always power to the keyboard AND the mouse on an ATX system.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm sure it does. With some motherboards the keyboard LEDs will stay lit when the computer's powered off. On mine, the LEDs flash when mains power is applied. Also, the light in my (PS/2) optical mouse stays lit when the machine's switched off. (The keyboard and PS/2 mouse controller are one and the same.)
            Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Oh, right...thanks, the fact that the computer sees the receiver itself as the keyboard elluded me.
              All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Working...
              X