Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Protection? Hah!

amazing.
    At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

The recording firm said this was done intentionally, to avoid incompatibilities with non-windows OSes and stand-alone players. They argued that it was enough to stop the average joe from copying, professional pirates will always find ways anyway.

If you ask me, a very sensible thing to do.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I am thinking, if this CD is covertly trying to install a driver/software on your computer, is illegal, it should prompt or contain a warning on the CD...

and they wonder why people hacve stopped buying CD's.

Would disableing autoplay/autoinsert notification achieve the same result?
      Last edited by Marshmallowman; 8 October 2003, 18:13.

Comment

People that would get stopped by this simple device would probably rip at 128 CBR MP3 in a crappy encoder anyways. That'll save their ears in the long run.
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
          Would disableing autoplay/autoinsert notification achieve the same result?
          Yes, of course.

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

another case of "all our customers are theives" syndrome
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

A sub catergory of the Kindergarten Syndrome.
              It basically is since some or some people in the class did something wrong, everyone must suffer. This goes right up there with the marker. Doesn't raw copy mode defeat all of this and many others?

Comment

Oh my, now they are suing the kid.

Not only are all our customer's evil, but the best and brightest are the worst! (this guy at Princeton and the 60 year old Yale prof in the RIAA suit).
                Last edited by TnT; 10 October 2003, 00:12.
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Wich just proves that the DMCA is "loose canon"
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                    I am thinking, if this CD is covertly trying to install a driver/software on your computer, is illegal, it should prompt or contain a warning on the CD...
                    Agreed. That's BS.

Comment

I think they make you "agree" before the software will install and the CD will play.
                      You'd have to be an idiot to buy a CD like that without knowing ahead of time that you could crack the thing.
                      Otherwise you'd be installing god knows what on your computer, with the RIAA 's tender mercies your only assurance that it wasnt harmfull.
                      chuck
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Next thing you know, they'll sue you for decrypting ROT13. Oh wait! That already happened.

Comment

Isn't holding the key down a basic windoze trouble shooting trick. Shouldn't they also be sueing microshaft for having that in the code ??????
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                            Next thing you know, they'll sue you for decrypting ROT13. Oh wait! That already happened.
                            You ARE kidding? Right?

Comment

If it DOES try to install a driver on your computer, it better have a CD-DATA Symbol on it rather than CD-AUDIO.

Red Book is very specific about that:

Red Book - CD Audio
                              Defined by Philips and Sony in 1980 and published in a red binder, hence Red Book.
                              Standard needed so a CD made by any manufacturer can be read by any CD player.
                              Physical Block Structure, 75 blocks are read per second, each block divided into 98 24 byte frames.
                              Frames are encoded using EFM (Eight to Fourteen Modulation), CIRC (Cross Interleaved Reed Solomon Code) codes are inserted for error detection and correction.

Edit to add: The CDs they are hawking are clearly Yellow Book: and should be Marked CD-DATA:

Yellow Book Standard
                              Sony and Philips found that error rates on audio CDs were low, decided to use them for computer data.
                              1983 Yellow Standard for CD-ROM announced as an extension of the CD Audio standard.
                              An extra layer of error correction was added.
                              Has 2 modes, mode 2 has less error correction and more data
                              "Mixed mode" disc has both audio and CD-ROM block structure on different tracks.

Methinks the FTC had better look into this quickly.
                              Last edited by MultimediaMan; 10 October 2003, 11:04.
                              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
                              X