The Governator !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Governator !!

First it was a very high turnout, so nobody can say it was an election-by-minority.

Exit polls of the recall election (as of 1 hour after the polls closed):

59% voted to recall California Gov. Gray Davis

Replacement ballot:

51% for Arnold Schwarzenggar

30% for California Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante

Breakdowns:

There was no "gender gap"

His appeal was pretty even across age groups from 18-65, with peak popularity among those over 42. Even so the difference between 18 year olds and 65 year olds was only a few points.

Schwarzeneggar gets 18-20% of those discribing themselves as "liberals"

A higher than expected percentage of both Hispanics (30%) and Union (39%) voters went for Schwarzeneggar.

It's very likely the pro-Schwarzeneggar vote will exceed the anti-recall vote, which puts Arnold in the very enviable position of getting more votes than Gov. Davis did.

It even looks like Arnold could win Los Angeles County

The operative term is LANDSLIDE

To put this in political perspective Gov. Davis was the only Democratic governor among the four largest states in the US. The other three (George Pataki of NY, Jeb Bush of Florida and Rick Perry of Texas) were all Republicans. Now all four are.

This election in the nations largest state combined with the huge Democratic losses in the southern states during the 2002 mid-term & congressional election must have the national Democratic leadership wondering what hit 'em.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 October 2003, 23:36.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Wow.

Nice numbers!

~~DukeP~~

Comment

I hated Regan, but I really like SchwarzeneggEr, boy.
      How can you possibly take anything seriously?
      Who cares?

Comment

Schwarzeneggar gets 18-20% of those discribing themselves as "liberals"
        any info on what the percentage of "non-liberals" who did not vote for him is?

mfg
        wulfman
        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
        "Lobsters?"
        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

You can look at the offical numbers here
          http://vote2003.ss.ca.gov/Returns/summary.html

They are updated every 5 mins or so.

Rakido
          "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Gray Davis has been...terminated.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Gray Davis should commit suicide.

Seriously.

You're a CAREER politician. You went to school and took Political Science. You've spent your entire life becoming a politician, working your way up, kissing asses and taking pissant positions.

And you're upstaged by a weightlifter-cum-actor.

If Schwarzenneger does a good job, ALL politicians should commit suicide. It's essentially proof positive that politicians are the most worthless pieces of refuse on the planet.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah, its nice to see professional politicions get slapped around and booted out, especially when they've done nothing else but run for political office and be a politician. Maybe Al Gore and Gray Davis should get together and cry on each others' shoulders. :P

Comment

Watching the Democrat responses to the results one can only say that they're getting ready to eat their young.

I can just imagine what it'll be like if they lose against Bush (very likely if they nominate Dean) and lose even more seats in Congress in 2004 (also likely due to demographic changes).

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I mean, I like Bush as much as the next guy - which is to say not much... but I like him better than anyone the Democrats have fielded so far. Kerry? PLEASE, nobody in Massachusetts likes him, nevermind nationwide.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Kerry's a joke. Edwards is nothing but a lacky for the trial lawyers and Gen. Clark is even worse IMHO; he's incompetant and dangerously reckless.

I can just imagine him being interviewed and someone brings up his order to UK Gen. Sir M. Jackson (Commander KFOR) to attack Russian troops who had unexpectedly violated "the plan" and taken control of Pristinas airport. Jacksons reply was;

"I'm not going to start the third world war for you..."

Then there is his involvement in the Waco standoff etc. etc. On the mildly entertaining side there is this comment from Col. David Hackworth, one of the most decorated soldiers ever to serve the US forces. Hackworth, in his 1999 commentary "Defending America" said of Clark:

"Known by those who've served with him as the UPP (Ultimate Perfumed Prince) Clark is far more comfortable in a drawing room discussing political theories than hunkering down in the trenches where bullets fly and soldiers die."

'nuff said.

Even the Dem leadership knows that Dean isn't going to fly in a general election, which if fine with them and the Clintonistas since they want an open field for Hillary to run in 2008. Can't have that if some low-end Democrat like in the current batch wins....

Dr. Mordrid
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 October 2003, 08:31.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Coming up on the Simpsons: Rainier Wolfcastle gets elected Governor. Expect mindless support from Homer and equally mindless opposition from Lisa, and a belly-laugh a minute from Bart's antics.

Good or bad, I think the show in California over the next couple of years is going to be a lot more entertaining.

Kevin

Comment

The important question is: Will they change the constitution for him?
                          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

That's a non-starter.

Amending the Constitution to allow foreign-born Presidents is very unlikely since it requires either;

1. a 2/3 vote in both the House of Representatives and Senate then ratification by 3/4 of the State legislatures within seven years time after Congressional passage.

2. a Constitutional Convention.

#1 has been used many times and is the preferred method. Recent changes done this way include refining the rules for Presidential sucession, rules for the appointment of a replacement Vice-President etc.

#2 has never been used since a Constitutional Convention could theoretically change anything in the Constitution and not just perform its purported purpose. This is feared by many on all sides because of the possibility of a runaway convention.

Nevertheless a foreign born Presidency amendment has been introduced in Congress many times, but usually with a 20-35 year citizenship requirement. At no time has it even approached having enough support for passage.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 October 2003, 11:52.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Probably do as well as Ventura

Comment

Working...
                              X