Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a replacement browser now (contains semi-naughty language)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a replacement browser now (contains semi-naughty language)

The F'ing Eolas a$$wipe won his PoS "plug-in" patent crap and is forcing MS to make their plug-in code as user unfriendly as they can... http://slashdot.org/articles/03/10/0...tid=126&tid=95

What's the most hassle free alternative browser?

Opera.
    Ok, it does have a little banner ad at the top, but you barely notice it.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I hate these ridiculous software patents.
      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Firebird. (Contrary to what Gurm might say. )

Comment

See sig

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Never bothered installing anything else since Moz 1.3... so it must be OK enough...
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

AZ, you need to update your sig, as Opera 7.21 has now gone final.

I use Opera as well, on both Linux and Windows...
              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Loaded up Opera and am giving it a spin now.

Comment

Re: Need a replacement browser now (contains semi-naughty language)

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                  The F'ing Eolas a$$wipe won his PoS "plug-in" patent crap and is forcing MS to make their plug-in code as user unfriendly as they can... http://slashdot.org/articles/03/10/0...tid=126&tid=95

What's the most hassle free alternative browser?
                  Umm, why is it his fault? He had the patent long before any of the browsers implemented this. MS just thought they could steamroll this guy like they did with so many others.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Because the Eolas patent is too broad, Wombat. It's everything that's wrong with patents.

Point in fact is that a few years back any idiot could patent virtually anything in the software world. A lot of the patent battles being fought now are for very "general" methods of doing something.

-------------

Anyway, use Opera. 7.21 is out now.

Firebird is shit. I tried it. It's like Mozilla only with all the GOOD parts taken out. It's warmed over crap on a stick. Add to that the fact that, as usual, 90% of the web sites I frequent fail in smaller or larger ways to work properly...

If it looks like Mozilla, and SMELLS like Mozilla, and TASTES like Mozilla... then why do we keep sniffing and licking human feces?

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

You see, that last post was funny because I was saying that Mozilla is human feces. Get it?

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Sorry Gurm, but I prefer Mozilla over Opera LOL

But anything is better than IE of course. (The only thing i like about IE is it loads itself fast, but other than that it sucks big time)

Comment

I don't believe you Gurm

Comment

mozilla 1.5 or firebird.

mfg
                            wulfman
                            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                            "Lobsters?"
                            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Mozilla has much better multilanguage support and is in my experience stabler than Opera. It's smaller and a bit faster, as long as I can judge.

Comment

Working...
                              X