Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 8500 Fan Woes

So my fan on my Radeon 8500 is dying.

It was a pain to find out, because at first it wasn't going slow enough for me to tell that it was dying.

Symptoms - in intense games (like a nice 30-man shootout in Wolf:ET) I'd get lockups with repeating sound for like 5-10 seconds, then nothing. Solid picture onscreen.

Also some other graphical glitchiness, some of which is an intrinsic Radeon problem (like some VESA modes leave the screen corrupted when you come back into WinXP, and you have to change resolutions back and forth to make it "wake up" again).

Tried reinstalling (always suspect software first, heh). But that was unsuccessfuly. Thought it might be my extra-hot AthlonXP (yeah I was one of the unlucky ones with a nice HOT XP1800+), but that's not it either, especially after I cleaned the Volcano9 and turned it up a notch).

Moved cards around, reinstalled XP. No, and no.

Finally got a look at the fan while the card was running. Yikes! So slow I can almost see the ATI logo on it. When off, it's stiff to turn. *sigh*

So I'm sunk. I'm too broke to buy a new card, I'm pretty sure ATI doesn't sell fans, and my other option (which I'm pretty close to pursuing) is to pry the current HeatSink off there (problem is of course that the heatsink is DINKY, and shaped for the fan to sit in it - bizarre ATI overheating bastard engineers!) and slap on an old Celeron HS/F combo, securing it with Arctic Silver and ripties.

Unless anyone here has a BETTER idea? Or an 8500-class card they're looking to unload for $20? (Which is, truthfully, more than I ought to spend this month!)

Like, is there something cute and elegant to be found at Radio Shack or You-Do-It electronics?

Anyone know how many volts the ATI fan header puts out?

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

ATI has either a 3 year or lifetime warranty, depending on card.

Just RMA it....

Otherwise, Titan makes some heatsinks for GPU's that should work quite well for your application...
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Yeah, I _will_ RMA it - when I have the money to "borrow" a replacement from Best Buy during the RMA period.

In other words, gotta limp it through to the end of the month.

I found a HS/Fan combo from my DOA Hercules Kyro2... it fit nicely onto the ATI's chip. It's 12V instead of 5V, so I had to rig it to one of the mobo fan headers, but otherwise it's doing fine. I'm gonna test it shortly. ET anyone?

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

make sure you dont bugger the card if you are going to RMA it
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

You could always put an old 80mm fan to blow on the hs while you are waiting for the replaisment fan if you have one!
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I do... but the fan is apparently not the problem. The Hercules fan is in there just fine right now, spinning its little heart out, but the problems persist.

I'm starting to suspect... Powerstrip. I've heard rumors of it not liking certain games and causing hard hangs.

Hmm...

- Gurm

Comment

So uninstall it...

Comment

I used PS for a while with my 8500 because ATI is too damn stupid to include a proper tweak utility like Matrox does that would simply allow you to make custom resolutions. But I recently found that at least with Win98 you can mess around with some of the drivers registry entries which give you more control over refresh rates than normal, although still not as well as I could with my old G400 MAX.

Oh, and I'm starting to feel glad that I oiled all my fans, even the power supply one, just as a preventive measure when my quiet 60mm fan started to go bad on my PAL6035. Stuck with a noisy Delta fan now, but at least it keeps my CPU cooler.

Comment

Powerstrip has caused some very weird issues for me, and I will never recommend it to anyone. (or install it again for that matter)

Comment

Yeah, and I _paid_ for it. Stupid me.

Actually I'm kind of stuck using it to tweak the latencies on my SiS chipset (not that I remember the right settings for that *sigh*).

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                    X