Network cables crimping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network cables crimping

OK, a coworker asked me to get his family on internet and networked.

I got him ADSL router (same as I have) and created account with ISP.

I have questins regarding cables and crimping.

Attic: ISDN and ADSL come in, he has analogue telephone lines enabled as well and he got a wireless ISDN phone.

I set up the router there and I ran a CAT5 cable to sons room that's also in the attic.

He already has CAT5 cables run to the other rooms on 3d and 2n floor of the house:

Daugher's room - 1 CAT5 cable, used for phone currently.

Work room - 2 CAT5 cables, 1 used for phone.

Does it matter in what order I crimp coloured wires to NIC connectors?

Or it doesn't matter, as long as order of the wires is the same on both ends?

see here for color codes, short cables mostly work with any color coding, but long cables will not, or experience a very bad connection.
    Last edited by knirfie; 6 October 2003, 07:49.
    Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

keeping the same order of colours on both ends usually doesn't give problems, however it's best to keep to standards as they've been made for a purpose and not for fashionable effect

note that some equipment (OK, it's rare now) works better with one kind of wiring than another. anywayz, if you stick to 568B, you're on the safe side.

Comment

you need to make sure the signal is transmitted through a twisted pair - thus you can switch the colours as long as you maintain the wires in pairs for transmission. Fairlure to do so will comprimise signal strength and noise levevls - severly reducing the useful length of the cable.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
          you need to make sure the signal is transmitted through a twisted pair - thus you can switch the colours as long as you maintain the wires in pairs for transmission. Fairlure to do so will comprimise signal strength and noise levevls - severly reducing the useful length of the cable.
          Ahh, didn't think about the twisted pairs.

So why is there a new "A" standard?

Daemorok and I will be doing a bit of this ourselves tonight. Ugh.

Comment

Actually the correct wiring is necessary to minimize crosstalk, whick will introduce packet loss and GREATLY reduce throughput. The problem gets worse the longer the cable. The correct order as viewed from the back, down on the non-lock side of the RJ-45 connector:

white-orange, orange, white-green, blue, white-blue, green, white-brown, brown

Notice the blue and green pairs are cross connected.

Also if you were to strip back quite a bit of the outside insulation sheath you would see that the pairs themselves are twisted in varing rates to reduce crosstalk.
            Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

OK, everything is conncected, I crimped them according to A specs.

It was good to do so, since wall sockets have colour coded connectors for wires that go to small PCB to which sockets are soldered.

If the plugs weren't done right on the other end, it wouldn't have worked.

Comment

Working...
              X