X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxtor reliability ?

just a thought for a near future

How reliable are Maxtor drives ?
    Was thinking between Maxtor's ATA133 with 1 year waranty and Western Digital's ATA100 and 3 years waranty for the JB series. (mated with a Gigabyte SIS 748/963L ATA133 mobo)

I know there isn't much difference between ATA100 and ATA133, though if I'm not to put SATA on it I though I should at least max out the parallel ATA.

I have 3 maxtors here of various types, ageing between 3 years and 6 months. None have ever given me even a hint of trouble. (Touch wood...)
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Depends on who you talk to. The last Maxtor to fail on me was an LXT213SY 200MB SCSI HD in 1993. I installed many since then and none to my knowledge have failed with the exception of a 10GB drive I had that had an unfortunate accident with a falling keyboard in 1998 a month after I got it. it has been repaired and is still happily chugging along in my sister's old machine. I would say they are reliable. I haven't had much luck with WD drives but for some people it is the other way around. If you could wait a bit the ASRock K7S8XE+ uses the 964 chipset which means SATA support.
      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Current IDE drives transmit from 30 to 50MB/s on inner and outer platters.

15k SCSI drives go to 70MB/s

Therefore anything above ATA66 is overkill.

Therefore ATA 133 or 100 shouldn't be a decisive point.

I'd go for JB because of: 3-year warranty and because of good reliability survey results on www.storagereview.com.

Comment

My HD goes from 30-65 MB/s sustained. It bursts to over 100MB/s 133 is not overkill
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2

Comment

(thinking at the 120GB, 7200rpm, 8MB buffer, ATA133, DiamondMax Plus 9)

Originally posted by DentyCracker
            If you could wait a bit the ASRock K7S8XE+ uses the 964 chipset which means SATA support.
            Neat, wasn't planning on doing it too soon anyway, could be the end of this year or Q1 next year, it's just my way of thinking ahead too much (or impatience).
            What's the ETA on that Asrock board ?

Originally posted by UtwigMU

I'd go for JB because of: 3-year warranty and because of good reliability survey results on www.storagereview.com.
            I was 70% inclined towards longer waranty to start with, thought that if the WD is not going to fail during the first two years the chances of doing it later might be slim.

Damn this new one year waranty and their packed system excuses, a hard disk should have at least 2 years, even for the lesser models.
            Last edited by Admiral; 5 October 2003, 17:18.

Comment

I've had good luck with Maxtor drives, never actually had one die, just one that was a good 8 years old started developing bad sectors.

I thought some of the high end Maxtor drives like that had a 3yr warranty. Guess I haven't checked lately.. 1 year is pretty cheesy. I wasn't too impressed with WD drives several years ago, but they've gotten a lot better minus a couple crappy models. Just stay away from the evil IBM Deathstar drives :P

Comment

And my friends and me use Maxtor drives for the past ~6 years.

Extremely reliable and fast.

I am guessing both brands are fine. But if I were to pick one, I'd personally still go for Maxtor because of the success I have with them.

Comment

I bought my first Maxtor 5 years ago. To the computer it was in, I added 2 WD hard drives for video storage/capture. The computer got dropped HARD during a move, the drop toasted the WD's, but the Maxtor lived on, and is still being used daily in a Friend's machine. After a brief stint with the IBM "DeathStars", I went back to Maxtor and have had ZERO problems with them !! I have a 40, 80, and 120 GB Maxtor in my machine right now. They make a very solid product.
                  You did what?

Comment

I've had pretty much exclusively Quantum drives since I started building my own computers in the late 80's. Never had a failure. After Maxtor bought Quantum, I bought a DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB. It's also worked flawlessly for the year or so I've had it.
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Just to even out the balance - I've seen two Maxtor's fail in the last week - Both 40Gb, one not quite a year old, the other a few years old.

Comment

Yup DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB, 8MB of cache goodness.
                        Attached Files
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R

Comment

Maxtor is no longer Maxtor. They are Quantum, which means good drives.

Maxtor's OWN drives sucked dog balls... but they're no longer making that series.

- Gurm
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

Maxtor's old drives worked fine for me. I had a Quantum 4.3 Fireball fail and its replacement as well
                            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R

Comment

System1:

WinXP HE SP1 NTFS
                              Promise Ultra133 PCI Controller
                              2x80GB Maxtor 80GB D740X ATA-133 7200RPM 6L080J4 UDMA6

Running since Sept 2002

System2:

Win98SE FAT32
                              Promise Ultra66 PCI IDE Controller
                              2x30GB Maxtor +40 7200RPM ATA-66 7200RPM 53073U6 UDMA4

Running since July 2000

No problems with Maxtor here. Fast and quiet. Previous to the above I used Quantum Fireballs without a hitch and when Maxtor absorbed Quantum, I had no qualms about Maxtor. Warm, fat and happy.
                              WinXP HE SP1& DX9b; Lian-Li PC-6089 mid alum case; Enermax 550W PSU; P4 2.8b retail; Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e; 1GB PC1066 RIMMs; Promise Ultra133 IDE PCI controller; 2x80GB Maxtor D740x 7200RPM ATA-133 HDDs; OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b PCI card:
                              1x250GB Maxtor One Touch USB2/fw external Ultra ATA-133 7200RPM HDD; Toshiba 16x/48x DVD-ROM; Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD?R/RW CD-R/RW burner; Radeon 9800 XT retail; DVI: Samsung SyncMaster 213L 21.3" TFT; VGA: ViewSonic 22? P225f; TV OUT S-Video: Sony 36? WEGA XBR400 NTSC; TerraTec DMX 6fire LT sound card to Denon 3802 7x110W based HT; on-board LAN to Alcatel ADSL modem; Canon S750 USB printer; Canon D125O USB2 scanner; Logitech diNovo Media Desktop (Bluetooth cordless keyboard/MX900 optical mouse); Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless USB Joystick; Logitech WingMan Strike Force 3D USB joystick; Logitech 2.4GHz Cordless Gamepad/Rumblepad.

Comment

Working...
                              X