The ANSWER to Macrovision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ANSWER to Macrovision

After a week of looking in this forum, searching the net for "G400 Macrovision" etc, here is the only way that I have found to remove it without hardware.

I wanted to post this so that others can avoid the same irritating hell I went through to disable this. There is one catch: the DRIVERS MATTER.

First:
    Download Powerdesk 6.0 (not the one on Matrox's site. Get the one release on June 13, 2000). Here is the matroxusers.com link
    http://www.murc.ws/Driver/Win9x/pd6/beta_w9x600.exe

Second:
    Install these drivers. I provided the link for win95/98 and I don't know yet if it works in win2k.

Now do this (its still a pain, but works)

1) Start your DVD, pause when the MOVIE starts (not the menu scenes).
    2) Pause it
    3) Go to display properties, click Advanced, click Monitor Settings, click Adjust the Current Display Mode
    4) Click cancel, cancel, cancel
    5) Press Play on the DVD player.

Macrovision is disabled. Friggin Matrox fixed this in the current drivers. So if you need it disabled because your TV doesn't have a RCA or SVIDEO in, you will be stuck with a RCA-RF converter... and your VCR has to be bypassed.

An interesting note on why/how this all works. VCR's detect macrovision's analog protection method by rapidly sampling the chromanance and luminance of the signal, which macrovision varies. Your TV does not detect this per se. So if you connect your output to your VCR, the signal is distorted, but your TV is immune.

What the fix about seems to do is disable macrovision in order to properly display the color bar chart. Then it never turns it back on. Macrovision is encoded into the first part of the movie's signal. The matrox drivers do the rest. So, pausing the movie AFTER the macrovision stamp bypasses that. When you disable it with the above method, it never turns back on because you have already gone past the stamp in the movie.

I am making no sense. Do the above and it will work. I guess the best solution is to have a player that NEVER detects the stamp in the first place. I heard Soft Cinemaster has a crack. Haven't tried it.

I HATE MACROVISION I AM NOT TRYING TO COPY YOUR MOVIES JUST WATCH THEM

This was a known way of getting around Macrovision. Unfortunately some bright spark decided to post the method in the Official Matrox Tech Support Forums which meant it was then offically identified as a bug and had to be "fixed" which it duely was. That guy wasn't too popular

Comment

Working...
    X