Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoftFSB / CPUFSB Question....

Hi,

I was wondering, if I boot my PC with a 100MHZ FSB, and then use either SoftFSB or CPUFSB to change to 133MHZ FSB, will my processor speed change? My processors have a 10.5x multiplier, and do run at 133MHZ. Is it safe (will I harm my processor) if I dynamically raise the clock speed like this?

Out of curosity, I tried this (setting the FSB to 133MHZ, from 100MHZ) and then ran Sandra. But there was no change in the benchmarks, which means the processor speed did not change. So either this can't be done, or I am doing something wrong.

Please give me your thoughts.

-V-
    Last edited by X-Caliber; 4 October 2003, 15:39.
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

What CPUs, what motherboard and can't you raise the fsb via bios ?

Comment

Dual 1.4GHZ Tualatins (133MHZ * 10.5) on an ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 motherboard (which supports a 133MHZ FSB); but the FSB cannot be changed via BIOS. I can set the FSB with the jumpers on the board, but for some reason my Matrox Rainbow Runner G series card does not work at 133MHZ with the Tualatins. BUT, when I use my two 800MHZ CPUs, also @ 133MHZ FSB, it works fine. So I have had to downclock my two Tualatins to 100MHZ, to get my RRG to work properly. Anyway, when I boot up at 100MHZ (w/ the Tualatins), and switch to 133MHZ, the RRG still works, but I don't think the CPUs are running at full speed. annoying
      ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Comment

You might want to check this site: http://tipperlinne.com/p2bmod

Comment

yeah I've been there. It's pretty useful, but doesn't answer my question

Comment

Reading through Jon's link, seems your PCI bus doesn't get reseted at 133 fsb and you're stuck with 44MHz PCI that isn't good for your RRG.
            Adding the FS3 jumper there seems to fix it and allow you to reset it to 33MHz.
            Last edited by Admiral; 4 October 2003, 17:16.

Comment

yeah, I know. But believe it or not, most cards don't really care if the PCI bus runs @ 44MHZ!! In fact, when I used my dual 800MHZ EBs, I left the PCI bus @ 44MHZ w/ the FSB @ 133MHZ, and everything worked fine (including the RRG). But when I swapped the 800MHZ for the Tualatins, the RRG wouldn't work @ 133MHZ anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by X-Caliber
                yeah, I know. But believe it or not, most cards don't really care if the PCI bus runs @ 44MHZ!! In fact, when I used my dual 800MHZ EBs, I left the PCI bus @ 44MHZ w/ the FSB @ 133MHZ, and everything worked fine (including the RRG).
                Hey, it's your gamble. But personally, I wouldn't do that to my components, especially my hard drives.
                Last edited by Wombat; 5 October 2003, 01:16.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeah, the high PCI Bus will probably cause some data corruption. It's the main problem I run into during my (somewhat limited) overclocking escapades.

Comment

Usually I just use SoftFSB and change the 133/44 to 133/33. My firewire webcam shows a difference right away; @ 44MHZ, there are lines all over the image, but @ 33MHZ, the lines dissappear. Not really an issue! Btw, the RRG runs fine @ 44MHZ, but I usually run it @ 33MHZ anyway. As for my hard drive, my motherboard has a built-in SCSI controller, with a fixed 40MHZ bus, independent of the PCI bus speed!!!

btw, anyone know how to answer my question?

-V-

Comment

Use WCPUID or CPU-Z to check if the CPU clock changed.

Comment

Thanks for the link. WHen I change the FSB, CPU-Z says the processor speed has changed too. But when I run Sandra, I get the same benchmark scores (???) Is there another benchmark program you could recommend?

WAIT!! WCPUID does not show any changes in either the FSB or clock speed??? So CPU-Z shows a change in both the FSB and internal clock speed, but WCPUID shows no change. Furthermore, when I run SoftFSB, it says that the FSB is 133MHZ, but it shows NO change in the internal clock speed.

strange!
                        Last edited by X-Caliber; 4 October 2003, 21:11.

Comment

Thanks for the link
                          Sorry 'bout that
                          Is there another benchmark program you could recommend
                          Well, Quake 3 should show a small increase, mainly from the memory bandwidth increase I guess and partially from the CPU.
                          The UT2003 botmatch result from the benchmark should increase, this one's CPU bound.

You could also try 3Dmark 2001SE or PCmark 2002.
                          (Futuremark downloads )

Comment

Working...
                          X