Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shift+ctrl in XP

Hello,

I recently noticed some odd behaviour on my XP Professional. Normally, one uses shift + cursor to select a word (in most applications) and ctrl + cursor to jump from one word to the next. Pressing shift + cntrl + cursor should combine these two operations. This was the case previously, and still is the case on my Windows 2000, yet currently on my XP this results in nothing (no selection, no jumping over words).

I have no idea what I might have altered; the behaviour is like this in all applications (word, wordpad, notepad, forms on websites, ...).

Any way to get the shift+ctrl+cursor back to work ?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Dunno. Works fine here, so it's not an XP thing.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Yes, it worked as it should before, but all of a sudden it doesn't anymore. I haven't installed new applications (though I'm not 100% sure when this behaviour changed), but I'd like to get it to work properly again...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

if you use multiple input languages or keyboard layouts, the ctrl+shift combination may be used to switch between these.
        from what i recall the default key combination is alt+shift for this action, but you may have it set with ctrl+shift.
        nospam

Comment

Hey, quick thinking !
          I'll have to check that this evening... I don't think I altered it, but it is a possibility... It doesn't change language though...

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Disable all keys for changing languages.

I hate it when you do a CTRL+SHIFT+SPACE+left click drag or some similar multikey combo in Photoshop or other graphic application and it switches to English keyboard.

Comment

I found it !

All the keys regarding language-switching were turned off. However, my mouse-driver (Kensington Mouseworks) had a hotkey to enable "'slow cursor", and this combination was ctrl+shift (I thought of this hotkey when I saw my mousecursor move when I used the cursor keys).

Silly of me...

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

Working...
              X