HL2 source code leaked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL2 source code leaked?

Now, let me say that I believe this to be a hoax before I say anything else.

I just wanted to make one comment. If for some reason this turns out to be true, I will be very very pissed off for the soul reason that people will use the source code to create cheats in the game. there goes the whole multiplayer experience.

You can find info about this at planet halflife, halflife2.net, and slashdot.

Dave

EDIT: I should say that the game will probably be delayed much, MUCH longer too if this is true.
    Last edited by Helevitia; 2 October 2003, 12:34.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

sorry Zao beat you to it
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

doh! Valve got hacked!

Ever have one of those weeks? This has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve.
      Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code.
      Here is what we know:
      1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.
      2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.
      3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.
      4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.
      5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook's preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn't been seen anywhere else, and isn't detected by normal virus scanning tools).
      6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.

Well, this sucks.
      What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, helpvalve@valvesoftware.com. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great.
      We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can't imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community.

Gabe

Yeah this bites
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

You have to feel for them... this has been some pretty targetted "cyber-warfare".

Also highlights how much of a priority IT security has to be in ANY company these days...
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Dammit.

Comment

Why do people still use that POS OE? I cannot understand it. Oh and how about we keep this in one thread?
            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by thop
              Why do people still use that POS OE? I cannot understand it. Oh and how about we keep this in one thread?
              Looks like he was using outlook and not OE
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

ok it appears outlook is not much better then.
                no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I'd bet it was nVidia who hacked Valve and leaked the source code....
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

Well, considering how crappy Steam is... I don't feel all that sorry for them. And they must have been feeling very brave to keep the source code on a computer that's got an internet connection in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                      I'd bet you're reading too many conspiracy theory books

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                        Pffft, it was Major League Baseball in collusion with the IllumiNazis.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                          I'd bet you're reading too many conspiracy theory books
                          I think you overlooked the smilie that I forgot to add...
                          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                          My System
                          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                          German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
                          X