Squeal of death sounds familer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeal of death sounds familer

Looks like my soundcard Augidy 2 has deceased.

This was the events.

1) Soundcard suddenly set speakers to 2 speaker only and cmss stopped working on the breakout box.

2) Reset the speakers back and they worked but still not cmss.

3) Checked the cables and rebooted.

4) Still the same went back to settings and it had gone back too two speaker only.

5) Reset it back to 5 speakers and tried to enable cmss machine hung.

6) Rebooted speakers back two 2 speakers re-enabled 5 speaker and then the card squealed and machine hung.

7) Rebooted and went back to settings no soundcard detected.

8) Uninstalled drivers removed and reseated card. Rebooted.

9) No card detected.

10) Rung tech support up. Please go to device manager > computer and reset the machine to single processor. No way as that will mess the machine up. Tech support insists that this must be done as IRQ's aren't being detected properly. Funny I thought the card was apic capable.

11) I've got another hard drive so I suppose I could do a clean install of an operating system and see what happens.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

sounds like an excuse to get the Audigy2 ZS

Comment

Replacing a Creative product with another one? Shirley shome mishtake?

They may well RMA it fairly easily though - they did with my Audigy 1 (and I kept the original semi-working one as well).
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
        Replacing a Creative product with another one? Shirley shome mishtake?
        its TP were talking about here & we all know he likes to get lemons!

Comment

Well Creative admitted after I installed the card in another machine that it was buggered. Same error message.
          It's annoying becuase they must know about the squeal of death. I'm also sure I've heard problems of the card not be reconised by the drivers as well.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Mine was doing the CMSS thing and the two speaker thing until I went against my instincts and liveupdated the drivers yesterday morning. Hasn't done it since
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

The "not being recognised by the drivers" one is what I had - also known as the "EEPROM bug". I thought it had been fixed for the A2 (and possibly some later A1s)?

Comment

I had a very early model so perhaps it was fixed after that. I thought you posted that over here. The squeal of death is also a known problem.
                Anyway I've now got a Hercules Fortissimo III as temp measure so at least I've got some sound unless I bought another lemon.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well the Hercules sounds like pants in comparison. Well it will do for now.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Impressed by Creatives tech support. Got an RMA number all I've got to do is go down to the post office tomorrow and post the old card off. An RMA number in one day not bad.
                    I'll be glad when I got a card to replace this crappy Hercules card.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yup - they sounded pretty practised at giving out RMA numbers when I did the same

Comment

Got to admit I did complain about the lady who wanted me change the pc from Multiprocessor to standard pc while we're on the phone.
                        Thats not something you should ask users to do without backing up first.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                        X