Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VERY strange problem...

Hi,

A few days ago I took my G550 card from the office home to put in my 2nd computer (for watching movies on TV, etc). The 2nd server was using a GeForce2 GTS before (which of course I forgot to uninstall before taking it out). Anyhow, I think you've figured out by now that the G550 is not working. The only way I can get into WindowsXP is if I select VGA mode from the boot menu. If I start WindowsXP normally, a few things can happen when the login window should show up...

1) The screen goes completly black
    2) I get all these colorful stripes on the screen
    3) Once it went gray with some weird pattern on it
    4) I get weird stripes on the screen and everything is misplaced, but I can still make out some of the stuff

The computer in question is an old one but the motherboard supports 2x/4x AGP. It has an Asus K7V motherboard with latest BIOS (from like 2000), an Athlon 650MHz CPU and 512MB RAM.

I'm not really sure if all this is because I forgot to uninstall the old graphiccard. I thought I would check with you guys first and see what your thoughts about this issue is before I do more damage

Thank you advance.

[edit]
    I forgot to mention that a couple of times when I booted in VGA mode, after logging in I got an error message that the graphiccard had crashed
    [/edit]
    Last edited by SuperMan; 1 October 2003, 13:30.

Well it definately sounds like it could be a driver issue since it works at plain vanilla VGA. If you haven't already, uninstall the old GeForce driver while in VGA mode then reboot normally. If that does not work you might try taking the G550 and back in to reset it in the slot. Someone else will be along with better advice soon I warrant....

Comment

Yeah, nVidia drivers leave a lot of crud around. Uninstall those drivers, then get back to us.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

To be sure that nVidia drivers are gone, uninstall them and then run Driver Cleaner: http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Comment

Hi Superman

Be sure to also use the latest VIA drivers (I'm guessing the motherboard is VIA based)

Good luck
          Peter Aragon
          Matrox Parhelia 128 Retail, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, Pentium IV 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB, Maxtor 120GB S-ATA, 512MB Mem, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, Gigaworks S750 speakers, AOpen DVD-R, Pioneer 16x DVD-106, 3COM 905C Networkcard.

Comment

I ran the cleaner and I guess it helped a little, I've rebooted twice after that and now I get the screen where it's all messed up but I can still see a little what is going on.

A funny thing happened, I accidently put the computer in stand by and when it came back it was working just fine (even after a screen resolution change)...

Do I dare to reboot ?

Comment

I rebooted and now it only comes up with a black screen. I tried installing latest certified drivers (again) from matrox.com and it didn't help. I'm about to give up on this card.

Comment

Have you reseated the card?
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks Wombat and everyone else for your help.
                  I'm gonna go watch a movie now

Comment

LOL... wonder why it works under the CLASSIC VGA mode :?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                      LOL... wonder why it works under the CLASSIC VGA mode :?
                      No AGP addressing, and other things, leaves a large number of AGP pins unused, and/or used less.

For the record, I bet he actually had to apply both solutions. The nVidia drivers do leave a lot behind.

Comment

Gosh, helping people with Matrox hardware problems. Feels like the old days *sob*.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                          Gosh, helping people with Matrox hardware problems. Feels like the old days *sob*.
                          Goes to show you that we've reached a point where the quality of the product no longer exhibits problems that need fixing!

OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

<font size="1">"So now I'm dreaming<br>For myself I'm understanding <br>Performing there, one hundred thousand fans would gather one and all <br>And so decided, we could rule it all if we should <br>Dance all away across the greatest city in the nether world..."<p>- Central Park 09/24/03</font>

Comment

Originally posted by ex-SalesSoup
                            Goes to show you that we've reached a point where the quality of the product no longer exhibits problems that need fixing!

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

Goes to show you've reached a point where you're selling fewer cards than ever, and new customers (therefore, new MURCers) are at an all-time low...
                            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
                              BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

Goes to show you've reached a point where you're selling fewer cards than ever, and new customers (therefore, new MURCers) are at an all-time low...
                              Ouch but so true.....
                              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
                              X