Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worth upgrading from G400Marvel to new TV card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth upgrading from G400Marvel to new TV card?

Is it worth the upgrade from a G400 Marvel to a Terratec Cinergy 400 (with supposedly superior Philips AD converters) or a WinTV Go2 (with new 881 chip; do the latest drivers support the enhanced color depth?)

For better picture quality and more convenient (WDM) drivers?

TIA
    J-kun

Looks like you´re asking the same question again...
    -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
    2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    Matrox Parhelia 128
    Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
    Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
    Maxtor 300 GB for video
    Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
    Win XP Pro

At work:
    Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
    Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

there was no definite reply previously. Add to that the unclear situation of the cap sw for Cinergy, the driver issue of the 881...

Just trying to find out if things have become clearer...

J-kun

Comment

As a Cinergy 600 owner, I don't regret buying it. Image quality is superb.
        The reliability of the capturing software leaves somewhat to be desired, but from my experience CPU power seems to be a factor too (it mostly seems to fail on "weak" systems). Windows XP is to be preferred over Win2000 because of the better WDM capturing system in XP. It works very reliable with third-party capturing software.
        Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

I went to a Canopus ADVC-100 analogue<>DV converter and find it superb with much less hassle than directly capturing with an analogue card.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I know, I got one ADVC too

I still use the Marvel for other codecs (DiVX and HuffYUV). But it has its quirks on XP, so I was considering changing to a TV card, as this would allow me to get a Parhelia for triple head (dual DVI - and 20" hires LCDs are dropping... dropping... dropping in price ).

The Terratecs seem interesting, with all the comments here on the board. However, I am not changing a working ACPI system into IRQ hell again, and the Cinergy's seem to have driver problems when IRQs are shared in ACPI mode. I believe Dutch had to go back to "standard PC mode". This is not acceptable for a modern day card (WHQL Logo requires ACPI compliance nowadays, IIRC).

There's not much talk on the latest BT chip (the 881) which has better color resolution I'm told, but initial drivers did not support this?

So you see, some questions left..

J-kun

Comment

A friend of mine just bought a Hauppauge WinTV PVR 260 and is very happy with it. Signal in - Mpeg out.
              Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

260? Sure it's not a 250?

Anyway, these are MPEG2 cap cards only, I believe you cannot capture in other codecs as the MPEG2 encoding is in hardware. Not what I'm looking for and based on totally different chipsest as other analog TV cards.

Thanks for the info anyway!

J-kun

Comment

Working...
                X