Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys router problem

Hi.

Last night I went to a friend of mines business to see if I could help him get his network running properly. he as some 7 computers running windows 98 ( yuck) all connected to his Linksys BEFVP41 4 port router, with the help of an SMC hub to give enough ports.

Now 5 computers will easily connect to the network, but anything more will not get an IP. I installed Netbeui to check that the physical connection was OK, which it was. I then manually gave the other machines IP's in the correct range.. no go.

The router in the DHCP settings had a field for DHCP clients, which was set at 6, attempting to change this would pop up a msgbox saying it is out of range [0-6] allowed

The router is one of those special ones made for Virtual Private Networking, which he plans to utilize sometime
    the Manual says this router is good for 253 users.. any insight to this?

We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

What is the setting for the first IP for the DHCP server to give issue? If it is set to 248 then only 6 addresses are available. (with a limit of 253 users vice 250 for 255 users). I think the router normally defaults to 100 but could that have been changed?
    Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

In the settings for the router, is it set up a router or gateway. As a gateway it will have the 253. As a router, it will have whatever the ISP gave him minus one for the router itself.

Comment

I will have to check that when I go there next..I do not remember the IP's that worked
        It should just be a gateway, as the IP's send out was in the 192.168.1.* range.

Comment

In that case like HomeBrewer stated it probably is the range. Another thing I noticed is that sometimes machines cannot access any of the server or admin functions unless they already have addresses with the same first three numbers. 192.168.1.*** THe range should be it though.

My Linksys Router/Gateway DHCP Screen is attached below.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
            My Linksys Router/Gateway DHCP Screen is attached below.
            That works? It doesn't seem like such a good idea to tell it it's okay to lease out x.x.1.1, the IP it likes to use for itself.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Nope definetly not a good idea.

How many people have 253 users on a network with a linksys as a router? LOL

I would say at least start from 10 for at least 20 users.

Cheers,
              Elie

Comment

OK.. I went back to his office tonight and took one more lool. The Router had its subnet set to 255.255.255.248 ( missed that the first time I was there )...hence not allowing an awfull lot of users. changing that to the standard 255.255.255.0, dhcp worked on all computers and everything was good

Comment

Working...
                X