SVCD problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVCD problems

I've encoded a SVCD complient MPEG file and have run into a few problems.

1. After I have encoded the MPEG file and I want to play it back, I open it in Windows Media Player. Now the file will play but there is no seek bar so I can't skip to certain parts of the file. This is not very practical. I presume that it has something to do with the mpg file being displayed via the software cinemaster engine. Perhaps there is a way to play the file directly through the matrox DVD player?

2. Now I burned the MPEG file on to CD as an SVCD image in Nero Burning Rom. The MPEG file in the MPEG2 folder will not play at all in any player that I can find.

3. Now that I've proved that I really don't know what I'm doing, is there any way to make DVD-like menus with and SVCD? I can't afford to spend any money as I have seen programs such as i-author being able to do this but it is not cheap (Actually I haven't had a chance to check the price but as I said I can't afford to spend any money).

So any help would be greatly appreciated. I think the SVCD quality is mighty impressive and it is good how it retains the motion and interlacing so output to TV is Supurb. I would like to be able to play my own SVCD's like a DVD if possible.

Thanks

Sci
    simon@pcarroll.cjb.net

Try here http://forums.delphi.com/tmpgenc and here http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/70438
    There a lot of tips and good stuff. SVCD is a pain to get right, primarily the bitrates have to be within the tolerance of SVCD spec. Not all set top players will work. Win DVD 2. and up will play SVCD on your computer.
    WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!

To encode I have been using Tmpgenc with some sort of a variable bit rate (suggested somewhere).

Is Win DVD 2 free or is SW Cinemaster able to play these files.

I don't have a set top player as yet but have the computer hooked up to my big TV upstairs, so I would just like to be able to seek the Mpegs and play them like a DVD off CD.

Menus?

Thanks

Sci

[This message has been edited by Sci (edited 26 November 2000).]
      simon@pcarroll.cjb.net

Comment

Sometime in December a new version of NERO, version 5.5, will be released with a menu editor for VCD and SVCD. It'll also have an MPEG encoder and the ability to record to 32 CD writers at once.

http://www.nero.com/en/Index2.htm

Don't expect any info on this website until it's ready for download.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks Doc!

I'll wait until then.

Any ideas on how to play them better on the computer? Being able to seek through it and so forth.

Thanks

Sci
          simon@pcarroll.cjb.net

Comment

Working...
          X