I love MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love MS

XP is installed but now I need the 70+megz of patches. I love this OS.

Maybe its time for a new service pack so we can get it all at once.

Jeff
    -We stop learning when We die, and some
    people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
    Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
    - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
    - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Yeah, SP2 is pretty overdue...there is a beta "Rollup package" with 22 of the fixes floating around the net though. Also, there's the beta version of SP2 itself. Depends what kind of PC risk-taker you are
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Enjoy the imminent hate mail, jeff

Comment

XP is extreeme in it's amount of patches and fixes
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

You would, perhaps, prefer LESS fixes? Hmm?

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Re: I love MS

Originally posted by Duty

Jeff
            I love my 5mbit Cable connection for this...though I dont get that back till next week if I'm lucky
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

- Gurm
              Nahhh, i think he would like that the os actualy was fixed before released to the publik
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Oh sure.

Much like any Linux distro is "fixed"?

I mean, at least XP doesn't make you RECOMPILE THE F***ING KERNEL!

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Re: I love MS

Originally posted by Duty

Jeff
                  Bah nothing.

Well when I installed Mandrake 9.2 I told it too get the security patches and favorite updates. Whoops 300mb later. Luckily it was the University network so it comes down very very fast.

I've probably put on 100mb plus of patches on Red Hat in the last six months.

That includes two kernal upgrades which also includes fixes. One of them at least got network card working while it broke another installion on another machine. That one went to Mandrake mentioned above.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

See? SEE?!?!

Comment

has to be a conspiracy by MS... everybody knows that linux is infallible.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

- Gurm

Yeah one big one , that was the point of the post. Around 40 files to down load. Now that might not sound like a big deal in this broadband world we live in but, I am on a SAT connection here at work. There is a 1000+ (sometimes 2500+) latency. The bandwidth is ok but the latency makes it frustrating. One big file is much faster then forty small files. It makes a huge difference.

Believe me, if there was any other way to get broadband access I would dump this SAT in a heart beat. It's funny, people told me that SAT connections to the internet had problems but I never thought that it would be this bad. To do anything secure we have to use a dial-up account because the latency is faster. The high latency causes secure servers to drop you. Not to mention no gamming!

Jeff
                        -We stop learning when We die, and some
                        people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
                        Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
                        - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
                        - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

So what's the scoop on SP2, will it get out this year or early to mid 2004 ?

Comment

A couple things:
                            First, Mandrake 9.2 is in the Beta/RC stage, it is not a finished product.

Second, people mistakenly include upgrades/patches to all of their Linux apps as part of their "Linux upgrade" amount. People don't do this with Windows for some reason. XP updates, plus office, plus NAV, plus games, etc, etc...
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I can never get the damn sound to work in Linux. I have tried Suse and RedHat. They both have their +'s and -'s. this is why I have both installed

Dave
                              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                              X