managing MP3 collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• managing MP3 collection

ok this is a situation that probably many of you have been in, or will be in sooner or later:

the chaos of an ever expanding collection of MP3s onto your HDD. I would like to make some kind of logical arrangement in the directory structure, but I've got no clue where to start.

I've thought about making directories for every artist/band, but that way I would end up with one directory which contained many, many subdirs, which wouldn't make it much easier to find stuff.

I've thought about making dirs for different music styles, but I've got no clue which style lots of music I listen to belongs to.

What's the best solution for this problem?

Edit the ID3v2 tags properly, and use Winamp 2.91's music library.

From times before that, I've used a directory structure with subfolders for every band I have complete albums from (the albums again being subfolders of the band), and folders from A to Z (and # for numbers, etc.) for bands of which I don't have full albums.

My mp3s are named artist [- album - tracknumber] - song.mp3

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I keep my .mp3 file list simple:
      arranged aphabetically by artist, with each artist having
      folders for separate albums/CDs.
      Believe it or not, I use WMP for managing my .mp3s
      But then, my 5000 .mp3 collection is pretty
      tiny compared to some I've seen.

Comment

i mostly have full albums, and i arange them like this in folders:

artist name - album name

i think that is a good way to do it. i think the general view becomes great that way. on the other hand,my single mp3s is a total mess

Comment

I just have a directory for artists (throw full albums or singles under each artists name), soundtracks, and compilations. Seems to cover all my bases, but the artists folder has 1,054 subfolders!

Comment

\my_music\language\artist_name\album_song.mp3 or \my_music\language\artist_name_album_song.mp3

larger no. of files per folder but less folders to look at.
            Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
            ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

I've got 3 style folders (EBM, Pop, Alternative). Under these folders every band/artist has his folder with a subfolder for every CD/album.

Every mp3 file has the same format "Tracknumber - Title.mp3" and every mp3 is tagged (ID3v1 + ID3v2).

E.g. C:\Mp3\Alternative\Beastie Boys\Ill Communication\01 - Sure shot.mp3

Every folder also has a playlist.

The tagging is very important (all ±6500 mp3's are tagged ). It's very easy to manage the tagged mp3 files with e.g. the media library of Winamp.
              Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
              Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
              Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

hey, an EBM-listener ^_^

I keep everything sorted under general style\band\album

with my general styles being:

Alternative
                D&B
                EBM
                Metal/Goth
                Punk/Britpop
                Soundtracks
                Trip Hop

unknown

if i dont have complete albums i dont use an album directory
                Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

At the moment I have one big directory with band names. I suppose to cut down the clutter I could break that down into A-Z directories. *shrug*

I was forced, recently, to pull all my MP3's back onto the hard disc from the CD's where they lived, due to said CD's getting rather scratched up.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Collectorz.com has some quite good and reasonably priced software for various collections. I use both Music Collector and Movie Collector. If MP3 collector is of the same quality then I recommend you check it out.

You can download a free trial version from this page
                    Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

I tried doing the themes thing, but it mostly doesn't work. I keep Classical, Blues, Swing, and Techno folders, but most everything else is at the top level. "Artist - Album." When I get more than 5 or so things by the same artist (albums, singles, etc) I create a folder "Artist."
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                      X