• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Desthstar bites the dust

Familiar Deskstar story:

clunk grind clunk grind
    and repeat

And this is a replacement for one that died soon after I got it

Still, it's lasted since October 2001. 2 Years of constant use isn't great, but is it out of warranty?

On Hitachi's site:

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="430" align="center"> <tr> <td valign="top" colspan="2" align="center"><span class="boldtitle">Quick warranty check results</span></td> </tr><tr><td><table width="100%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" cols="4" bordercolor="#808080"><tr bgcolor="#CCCCCC" align="center"> <td width="25%">Serial number
    </td> <td width="50%">Expiration date
    </td> <td width="25%">Sold to GEO
    </td></tr><tr align="center" bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td width="25%">TXR24689
    </td> <td width="50%"> 2004-10-26
    </td> <td width="25%">EMEA
    </td></tr></table></td></tr></table>
    Last edited by SteveC; 28 September 2003, 11:09.

sounds like you have another year worth of warrenty on it
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Problem is that you get another Dethstar to replace it.

I wonder if Hitachi have solved the problems.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yay! A replacement to replace the replacement

Didn't realise they still had 3 year warranties on consumer kit...

Comment

Yep - just sorted out the RMA.

Luckily I kept the results of the first Drive Fitness Test which just said 'Device Defective' and the error codes, cos that's what they ask for.

After I ran that I got angry and hit it, no when I run the DFT it says 'excessive shock' ! oops They might not have liked that if that was the original result

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC

Luckily I kept the results of the first Drive Fitness Test which just said 'Device Defective' and the error codes, cos that's what they ask for.

After I ran that I got angry and hit it, no when I run the DFT it says 'excessive shock' ! oops They might not have liked that if that was the original result
            ROFL
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

you get 7k250's as replacement nowadays, and they make weird noises... (nothing seems to be wrong with it though)
              Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

it's the recalibration noise

makes sure they DON'T fail
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC

Well, when I had to send a pair back for the second time one of them said "excessive shock" and they RMAed it without a wimper.

So it might not have mattered.
                  chuck
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

well, i dont like the recalibration noise, much too noisy...
                    Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Working...
                    X