PDA

View Full Version : 188$ for a damn parking ticket in Montreal???

ZokesPro
27th September 2003, 10:15
I parked on René-Lévesque Street and it said on the meter it's hours of operation, but there was another sticker saying the opposite of the first one. Confusing. So I parked there anyways, we were only gonna be thee for a few hours. Next thing we find out is that my car is no longer there when we go back!! D'oh!

We thought it was stolen so we walked up and down the street like 3 times (we spent an hour walking, JUST to find the car) then decided to stop at the police station as we had no luck looking for it. Luckily they knew where it was. They towed it to a different street and gave me a nice hefty fine of 188$!!

Jokes on them, I'm WAY too poor to pay it, haha!

Usually parking tickets are around 60$ no? Cheapest one was when I was in trenton, the ticket was for 4$ and if I payed it in person it cost 2$, can't go wrong with that! but 188$??? Wow.

gt40
27th September 2003, 10:26
did it have ontario plates??? :D

Ajax
27th September 2003, 10:41
Zokes, you have the worst luck.

Tjalfe
27th September 2003, 10:51
usually the fines here are $40.. had 2 of them so far.. got one once for parking in a firelane at a school for $100 ( the principal told us to park there!)
$188 sounds excessive! :(

thop
27th September 2003, 11:42
$ Canadian or $ US? In either case it sounds right to me, they charge you 150-200€ here when they tow (? just learned that word :) your car.

ZokesPro
27th September 2003, 11:57
Originally posted by Ajax
Zokes, you have the worst luck. My luck seems to get better once I've hit the worst part. So to me things will soon get better, I know they will. :)

@gt40: yup, probably why they jacked up the fine too! (wouldn't surprise me)

KvHagedorn
27th September 2003, 16:05
A guy I work with went to the 7-11 convenience store across the street and parked in the handicapped space because the rest of the lot was full.. no big deal, really, since there has to my memory NEVER been a real handicapped person parked there in all the time I've patronized that store (15 years,) and he was going to be in there for 2 minutes, maximum. Well some busybody bitch tells a police officer and insists he give the guy a ticket. A $250.00 (USD) ticket to someone whose take home pay is about $1000 a month at most. That was his month's rent.

Brian Ellis
28th September 2003, 00:46
The police here are trickier! There is a large supermarket in Larnaca with inadequate parking. Outside, there is a very wide pavement (sidewalk), about 7 m wide, with trees planted at 3 m intervals on the inside. Cars just drive in between the trees. The police do nothing about this until the customers do this systematically, then they have a blitz and ticket every car doing this for a week. Then they wait about a year until they can get another week's catch. In fact, it inconveniences no one, as there is still plenty of room for pedestrians wheeling their carts, babies or what-have-you.

I got caught there, because I saw others doing it, although I normally try being law-abiding. I arrived at the car just as the ticket was being placed under the wiper. No appeal or excuse permitted: the copper told me their tactics and he said that this was more cost-effective than just getting an odd car every now and then. They do the same at several tens of spots in the city where parking causes no danger or inconvenience and they have a team of two whose job is to spend a week, in turn at each location! They often get 100 motorists/day @ £15 a time (this would be the equivalent of both cops' monthly salary, so they're looking at a monthly profit of the order of £20,000: not bad!). Much more cost-effective than parking meters.

GuchiGuh
28th September 2003, 03:07
In taiwan vehicle towing fee is NT$3500...around 88 Euros. In australia....they don't care they just pull up your screen wipers and write in shaving cream : "G'day! Don't Park here mate. Cheerz" :D

DukeP
28th September 2003, 05:32
Originally posted by GuchiGuh
In australia....they don't care they just pull up your screen wipers and write in shaving cream : "G'day! Don't Park here mate. Cheerz" :D

ROFLOL!!

Wish the police had THAT amount of humor in Denmark (sometimes they do, but rarely in the parking department).

~~DukeP~~

Ajax
28th September 2003, 05:33
Originally posted by GuchiGuh
In australia....they don't care they just pull up your screen wipers and write in shaving cream : "G'day! Don't Park here mate. Cheerz" :D Now THAT is how it should be! :up:

Brian Ellis
28th September 2003, 07:59
I've a friend who had a Mini. One day, in Lausanne, he was looking for a parking slot and he spotted one, just big enough, between two other Minis in a blue zone (1 - 1.5 hrs max). He backed in and went off to do his shopping or whatever. When he came back, he noticed that both the other minis were gone and his car stood in glorious isolation along the kerb. As he got in, he saw a piece of paper under the wiper, so he fished it out. Someone had written on it something that roughly translated as, "Thanks for taking up two parking slots, you stupid, inconsiderate bastard.".

GuchiGuh
28th September 2003, 08:08
LOL! WAAAHahahah!! :D:up:

Admiral
28th September 2003, 08:39
Someone had written on it something that roughly translated as, "Thanks for taking up two parking slots, you stupid, inconsiderate bastard."
Now, that was funny :D:D

ZokesPro
28th September 2003, 09:39
Originally posted by KvHagedorn
A guy I work with went to the 7-11 convenience store across the street and parked in the handicapped space because the rest of the lot was full.. no big deal, really, since there has to my memory NEVER been a real handicapped person parked there in all the time I've patronized that store (15 years,) and he was going to be in there for 2 minutes, maximum. Well some busybody bitch tells a police officer and insists he give the guy a ticket. A $250.00 (USD) ticket to someone whose take home pay is about $1000 a month at most. That was his month's rent. I'm really trying to stay positive in my situation but I don't know how long I can hold it together. Losing that job really hurt, even if the pay was ridiculously low. There are jobs ou tthere and I can't easily find them, but a minimum wage job is only going to slow things down. Unless a miracle happens.... right. :(

The more I look at my situation the more I want to just give up.

Greebe
28th September 2003, 10:33
Denis, go back to the scene of the crime and take a pic of that confuzzed peter meter and present it to the Judge. If they have an ounce of sensibility it'll be tossed out.

ZokesPro
28th September 2003, 10:48
Originally posted by Greebe
Denis, go back to the scene of the crime and take a pic of that confuzzed peter meter and present it to the Judge. If they have an ounce of sensibility it'll be tossed out. Oh of course! My roomate has a digi cam so it'll be a snap. Signs in Quebec can be so clear sometimes, like the ones with clauses. :rolleyes:

Ex: There's one in St-Hubert where it's 50km/h IF between 9h and 17h, AND if Mon-Fri AND if between Sept and July. But when your going 70km/h and there's a TON of traffic (3 lanes on both sides), you don't get much time to think about that sign. And the worst part is that most signs here are just as confusing. One thing for sure is that if I decide to fight this ticket, it'll give me many more months untilI have to pay fo it.

But the ticket is the least of my worries right now.