Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Help With WinXP

Hi All,

When I capture large AVI files, about 4Gb, most of the time I have problems to delete, rename or move.
    I get an error massage "File being used by another person application" when this in not true.
    I somtimes manage to delete the file from DOS or via another application.
    In one particular instance I litteraly had to format.
    Any help ??

Regards,

Debbie
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Avi files can be trouble in xp. there is a fix to let xp behave much better so it's possible to move or delete large avi files. The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll.

To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following
    registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D9 4-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files.

Just an extra note, if you do a "search" for this key it will not be found, look for it manually it is very easy to find. As always newbie or not, if you FUBAR your registry its your own fault. This fix does work, I use it and have applied it to many XP machines.

Comment

Thanks mickle,
      That appears to be the "standard fix". I shall try it this evening.

No chance of messing up my registry. All my data is in d:\ and c:\ is imaged (Ghost)

Thank again,

Debbie

Comment

I tried to remove the registry keys, but than I am unable to see the details in the file properties.
        Sometimes it is necessary to check the codec, image format, audio etc. Of course MSP7 reads the file properties, but it’s advisable to export and save this reg-fix on a safe place, any way.
        By the way, I am capturing .avi with AVI_IO which automatically splits large captures in 2 GB segments. It is not a problem for me, when editing them in MSP7.
        For a while ago I’ve got the problem even with a 2 GB file too. I fiddled with a downloaded large DivX file. I tried to convert it to another format and the resulting file was about 1.7 GB. The silly thing was that I copied a wrong, not completely downloaded file from the “Imesh” map to another one. The renamed & transformed file “thought” that Imesh continued to use it, and I was unable to unchain it from the (damn)Imesh. I deleted the file in DOS.
        In one particular instance I literally had to format.
        I tried, with success the following alternative method to remove “irremovable” files (when DOS didn’t help):
        1. Ghost the partition, system- or what you want.
        2. Open the .GHO file in XP.
        3. Remove the unwanted file inside the .GHO. It’s not used by any program inside there.
        4. Re-Ghost the drive. Restart if you re-ghosted the system partition.

Fred H
        It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
        ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Ever since I removed the registry key I have no more problems with deleting or other of .avi files.

If I want to know the properties of a file I will just import it is UMSP (Video editor).

There is a freeware prog; "GSpot" that reads .avi file properties, however it will not recognise a very large file (3.75Gb). I am not sure if the property tab in WinXP will.

What is sure is that WinXP has an issue (call it a bug if you wish) with large .avi files and apperently Micro$oft know about it.

Debbie
          Last edited by Debbie; 1 October 2003, 00:27.

Comment

Thanks, Debbie.
            GSpot works fine here. I installed it to right click on the .AVI and click SendTo. Thanks for the tip.
            If I capture .AVIs the best program for me is AVI_IO and PICVideo codec. In my last project I captured 2, 0 GB clips and they work perfect in UMSP.
            Next time I’ll try to capture 3, 5 GB files. They can be backed up and archived on any DVD, together with the project file or some audio files. Little expensive today, but the price of DVD is going down.
            Maybe M$ comes with a new SP to XP which fixes the bug. I hope I don’t be too old to see that…

Fred H
            It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
            ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Fred,

I'm glad you like the software. As I said, I have been unable to use it on large files, but it works fine on smaller.

Best regards,

Debbie

Comment

The best solution to this problem, is a little tool called "Clear Open With Lists", from a tweaker by name of Doug Knox. If ya can't delete an AVI, just run this little tool, and choose clear all. With this trick, you DON'T lose the AVI properties page.
                CLICK HERE for a direct download of the file, or CLICK HERE to go to his site, where you may find other Windows Tweaks/Fixes/Util's to your liking.
                Cheers
                You did what?

Comment

Working...
                X