Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .flf files?

Hi all,

I'm working on a project as part of my job that invoves data aquisition from medical images. The xray film scanner has a specific piece of software that saves the scanned images as .flf files. I can't find out much about them.

I have a TWAIN plugin for paintshop pro that allows me to operate the film scanner through psp, but I'm not allowed to because its apparently 'clinically unstable'. Whatever.

I have played about with the flf files in matlab, and when i read it in its a 1d array. uh oh.

I need to be able to convert to .jpg or something a bit more mainstream.

Any suggestions?
    I hate flankers...

Do you have a sample file for people to try their magic on?
    <font size="-4">User error:
    Replace user and try again.
    System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
    System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
    </font>

Comment

I had once a software that did fractal compression of pictures.
      The file 'format' was fif.
      I hope it helps.
      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

oops
        I hate flankers...

Comment

Originally posted by jonnylane
          oops
          ???
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I only found out that it's an "flat image" file. What they exactly mean by "flat" here is beyond me. Is the file a binary or a text file? (Depending on the machine you used to acquire the images the exact format of those may vary, but what does it look like?)

It should, in any case, be quite a simple file with a simple data structure and probably no data compression. It might have a header that informs about the file dimensions and the color format (color depth/grayscale?) used. Then there should be either (in a text file) rows of values, or (in a binary file) sets of data points.

Anyway, the only software that I found that will definitely do the trick is Image-Pro, but that's probably "a little" expensive... And even then, I think you might have to mess with some scripts and/or input the file parameters by hand (width, height, BW/color etc.)

Comment

Image Eye:
              FMJ-Software: Awave Studio - Awave Audio - Chromatia Tuner - Image Eye - Any Image - StarStrider - ACDR. Awave Studio is an audio and synthesizer instrument file format converter, editor and player. Awave Audio is a an audio file format batch converter. Chromatia tuner is a chromatic instrument tuner. Image Eye is a fast, lean and free image viewer. Any Image is an image file format batch converter. StarStrider is a photo-realistic, real-time 3D planetarium using the Hipparcos database. ACDR is a free Audio CD ripper.

They have support for nearly all formats, including:
              FIF: Iterated Systems Fractal Image File format.
              And best of all: a trial version (to see if it is indeed this format)

I also found .flf:

but it is said to be Corel Paradox, which seems strange for a scanned image...

Jörg
              Last edited by VJ; 29 September 2003, 05:21.
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

It's FLF we're talking about, not FIF.

But my bottom line is, if the file format is as simple as I suspect (are the files huge? If they are it's a good sign) and if you can supply the dimensions and color scale used along with some sample files then pretty much any half-assed C programmer could write you a conversion utility to BMP or whatever.

Comment

Making your own app to quickly convert the format to some nicer like BMP or so wouldn't be that hard.
                  But that depends if on if you know how to program of course
                  <font size="-4">User error:
                  Replace user and try again.
                  System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
                  System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
                  </font>

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest
                    But my bottom line is, if the file format is as simple as I suspect (are the files huge? If they are it's a good sign) and if you can supply the dimensions and color scale used along with some sample files then pretty much any half-assed C programmer could write you a conversion utility to BMP or whatever.
                    Yes, that is true...

Some things that might help: source is an X-ray scanner, so the images are likely to be grayscale. As it concerns medical imaging, the probably will be no compression. If you know the dimensions (in pixels) of what you scanned, you can determine if they use one or two bytes per pixel.

You could try renaming the extension to .raw, and then try using some photo-editing software (I don't remember which programs, but some have import-settings that let you input the size, number of colours and some other values).

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

give me a shout if i can help Jon
                      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

You could probably write a quick interpreter in Perl - <I>pack</I> and <I>unpack</I> will do 90 percent of the conversion work, likely. The TWAIN plugin can probably help you: PSP can tell you the dimensions of an image, and you can use it to decode the FLF.

Open the FLF file in a hex editor of some type, and there's likely to be useful information in the beginning. Medical images are often designed with DICOM guidelines in mind.

Also, don't make any firm assumptions on color depth. I've seen all sorts of numbers there.
                        Last edited by Wombat; 30 September 2003, 07:45.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                        X