It's Athlon 64 day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Athlon 64 day...

It's difficult to ascertain the 64-bit qualities of the FX-51 right now. Limited OS support and limited driver support make any tentative benchmarking perilous. I'll leave that up to Mr. Technical, a.k.a Ryszard. What we can say, though, is that in 32-bit mode, the Athlon FX-51 currently has no performance peer. Thanks to a number of sensible core improvements, of which an on-die memory controller, larger L2 cache and SSE2 support are notable, especially with respect to gaming. The AMD Athlon64 FX-51 is a force to be reckoned with. It'll be hugely expensive, but that's kind of expected. We'd put our money on a cheaper model in the hope of overclocking it to FX-51 levels and above. We can't recommend the FX-51 solely due to its mammoth price, which is reckoned to be around £700, but if you want the fastest x86 CPU going, this is it.

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

If only I had $3k to blow on a computer system. Looks like AMD is in the saddle with the A64 FX.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

While from a technical or performance point of view that on-die memory controller might be a God sent, from the upgrade point of view it could be a downfall.
        Great performance but it's binding you to buy a new CPU that is more expensive than a previous motherboard upgrade.

64bit benefits would only be seen under a 64bit OS and most noticeable with 64bit apps.

The fact that only the FX supports dual channel and there will be two types of FX next year, a socket 940 at launch that supports only registered memory (inherited from the Opteron) and a socket 939 later that supports unregistered, again doesn't make it quite upgrade appealing.
        I suppose there would need to be another remake to support DDR II ?
        High price at start, two socket changes, need to change CPU and motherboard to use better memory, need to use registered memory in some cases...
        Looking at this only the single channel, socket 754 Athlon 64 seems worth at start. On the dual channel side you might be better off with a dual Opteron system.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to bash what is the next generation CPU, I'm just picking at it from a potential buyer's view.
        Between AMD's not yet (fully) supported 64bit processing; on-die memory controller and Intel's HT (working as it is) and dual channel I think I'm staying with Intel. Not that I planned on upgrading anytime soon, 2005 seems the perfect year, wait for things to clear up and PCI Express and DDR II compatible CPUs from AMD or DDR II compatible motherboards from Intel.
        If the Prescott has 64bit support it could blow everything for AMD.

Comment

www.aceshardware.com
          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Well from what I've been reading it seems that the Athlon 64 isn't really gonna make an big impact in the consumer market till next spring/summer. The prices for either the Athlon 64 or P4EE is just way too fricken high for my blood. The last time I spent more then $500 on a processor was a P90

Well I'm out of the market for new PC at least till next summer if not longer so doesnt really matter to me and my current rig should support me till then...i hope
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Looks good so far, I hope AMD can scale the clocks a bit faster than the seemingly stagnant XP line near the end though.

Comment

BTW, MS announced both WinXP and Server 2003 to be available for AMD64 for 1h2004. Beta versions should be available now for MSDN members.

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

That FX-51 looks sweet. Sadly it's too expensive for me...

Comment

For the price of one of those fx-51's you could buy a single 240 opteron and an AMD a dual cpu chipset server board ?

I think I will hold out a bit longer. The cheapest opteron is priced at a level I would consider...but its a bit slow, but give it 3months or so.

For me once all the 940,939, registered, unbuffered stuff is sorted out I will buy one...But currently the only decent chipset is the non desktop server chipsets with no slot for a decent graphics card.

The Choices for the desktop an under performing nforce 3 or a via chipset?

Has via finally got it right this time, bit early to tell but I won't mind eating my own words if they get it right.
                    Last edited by Marshmallowman; 24 September 2003, 18:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                      Has via finally got it right this time, bit early to tell but I won't mind eating my own words if they get it right.
                      It seems that Via's effort got a whole lot better when they no longer need to design a mem controller. But then again, their weakness the last couple of years haven't been the mem controller...

Comment

Actually VIA has to improve their new chipsets somehow as practically very few people currently are actually buying boards based on their chipsets..Performance seekers go nVidia and most of the rest go with SiS. Good to see their engineers earning their pay.
                        As for me, thanks to ganyaik pm, I prolonged my A7V KT133 based system's life by plugging in an AMDXP2400+ currently underclocked at 16x100MHz but less noisy and sufficient for my use. Can always push the cpu later when i need it.

I'm with Marshmallowman, will rather wait till end of next year when i would have the cash (starting to save now ) and when AMD should have resolved everything as to which model will be around with what features.

One thing is for sure my next system will be AMD64
                        Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                        ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Originally posted by Belwarrior
                          thanks to ganyaik pm, I prolonged my A7V KT133 based system's life by plugging in an AMDXP2400+ currently underclocked at 16x100MHz but less noisy and sufficient for my use. Can always push the cpu later when i need it.
                          Uh update sig!

Comment

Ace's Hardware Athlon 64 FX overclocking update.

Comment

It looks like it's a special BIOS hack. I'm sure it's out on the net somewhere ...

PS - This is the Athlon 64 FX-51 overclocked to 2.8 GHz and destroying the competition in the process article.

Jammrock
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X