• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nForce2 and Memory

So I got my new PC:
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 and
    2x Kingston 512Mb PC2100 CAS2

It's not stable with both sticks in, and one has a few probs, the other runs fine (so it seems) I'll memtest tonight, but I don;t think the stick itslef is defective.

The retailer will allow me to trade them both in, but very little of the ram they have is on nVidias compatibility list.....

Corsair is not on there at all, but Anandtech said it was the best overclocking stick.

No my questions are:
    1. WIll I at least not have worse performance if I purchase DDR400 Cas2 Corsair memory?
    2. Am I better advised using XMS Low Latency modules or TWINX DChannel?
    3. Anyone ever heard of probs with this MB/Chipset and corsair recently?

Thx and kind rgds,
    Umf
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

I had problems with branded (forget the brand , not corsair tho)PC2700 CAS2 memory that I bought for my nforce2 board.

Wouldn't run stable at any speed (200, 266, 333) or any cas setting (2, 2.5, 3). It was more stable with one stick than two, but still locked up after 30 mins or so.

Swapped the memory for generic cas 2.5 PC2100 and that works a treat.

The 2700 is now running at CAS2, DDR 266 in my other PC with no trouble whatsoever.

It does seem to be a very picky chipset.

Comment

Yes, that is the alternative: 2 kingston sticks, PC2100 at cas 2.5..... But I fear it will impact performance...no? Maybe one stick is simply better?
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

The question is whether it really is stable with one stick, or whether it will crash after an hour or two.

Comment

I'm not sure if there are many problems with Corsair and nVidia boards, there were/are with i865/875 for sure.
          TwinX also come in low latency flavor.
          Now, if you get DDR400 and use it with a 133 or 166 fsb CPU in synch mode it should run fine at 2-2-2 6. Not sure about asynch.

You can go through the Compatibility Questions section of Corsair's tech support forums for more info. Seems there are at least three recent threads about A7N8X and PC3200 ram:
          A7N8X Deluxe & 3200
          asus a7n8x deluxe
          A7N8X and CMX256A-3200C2PT WARNING!!!

Judging by what's said in those threads, if you run low latency memory on the A7N8X you'd better do it in synch with your CPU fsb. On my i875, TwinX low latency PC3200 memory from Corsair had only a CAS latency option of 2 while the normal C2 (not dual channel certified, not low latency) PC3500 I run now also has an option for 2.5.

Comment

That's it. I'm wapping mine for the PC2100 2.5 CAS version from Kingston. At least that one is on the compatibilty list....

Thx y'all
            Umf

Comment

I have a single stick of corsair pc3200 xms 512mb in my a7n8x deluxe. I have had it up to 210 at cas2 without a problem.

I currently run it (fsb is sync'ed) at 204mhz with cas2 3336 timings which are the manufacturers SPD setting's.

However on the asus site it recomends that pairs of pc3200 xms should use a cas of 2.5 not the manufacturers SPD setting of 2.

Also corsair recomends your run it at 2.7 volts at 400mhz if you encounter problems.

So normal XMS may not be the best bet for the a7n8x but it works for me, I will be getting another stick in a month or so I will really find out then.

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                That's it. I'm wapping mine for the PC2100 2.5 CAS version from Kingston. At least that one is on the compatibilty list....

Thx y'all
                Umf
                Corsair's forum scared you ?

Scared me too, only I found out about the link on the 1GB TwinX PC3200LL package after I bought it.
                Cursed my days for buying it but now after swapping it with two 512 XMS3500 C2 PT sticks it runs fine in dual channel at 400MHz 2-3-2 6 or 2-2-2 6 for 390MHz and under.
                Last edited by Admiral; 24 September 2003, 04:33.

Comment

Thing is, I run 133Mhz FSB as well, just a 2000+ (1666Mhz). Async seems not to work more than a few times.

Which is as bummer because DDR400 would ease up the upgrade in 6 months time when the XP3200 is cheap.

Ah well....

Comment

Well, then I'd say get two XMS3200 C2 or XMS3500 C2 to have more room for CAS and fsb.
                    I guess both of them should run fine at 133 or 166 in CAS 2-2-2 6.
                    When you change to a 400fsb CPU you'll start the hunt for stable timings though.

Comment

I will never ever touch an Nforce2 Mobo again after what I had to go through becuase of it
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Well, aside form this little problem, it runs very nice indeed.

Comment

Working...
                        X