Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News from Promise: new RAID card

My contact at Promise cleared this for release;

"We are also going to have a 4-channel FastTrak100 which can run on a 66 MHz PCI bus, so we can get transfer rates up to 266 MB/s. At Comdex we were using 4 IBM 75 GXP drives and getting 140 MB/s."

While a 66 mhz PCI is only found on server boards now, this will change in time. On a 33mhz PCI the transfer rates with this board can go as high as 133 MB/s.

Speculation: the Fasttrak100 4 channel may also be of interest to overclockers since "normal" Fasttraks don't tolerate ovcocking of the PCI bus very well. I will update this notion when and if this is confirmed.

It's due for release in the Feb/March time frame.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 22 November 2000).]

Just got a Promise ATA/100 Card for my system to allow faster drives to do their thing (and hopefully, improve video capture performance). But is this card going to have a problem with a Celeron (66mhz) system?
    Didn't realize that the bus speed had
    anything to do with the IDE controller
    speed? Or maybe I am reading more
    into this than I should be.

Also, please see my reply to your
    reply under separate topic (eTV + OCHI).

Thanks.

Comment

Actually we're talking about PCI bus speed, which has nothing to do with the FSB.

In any system board regardless, the PCI bus speed is set to 33mhz, however the new boards doubled that speed to 66mhz which the promise FT100 is capable of handling.

Regards,
      Elie

Comment

Actually the Promise Fasttrak100 is NOT capable of handling the new 66mhz PCI bus. It's the new Fasttrak100 4 Channel that can do that. I'm still waiting for info on if it can be overclocked better than the straight Fasttraks....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
        X