i850E and 800FSB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i850E and 800FSB

Any of you guys know if FSB800 will work with i850E chipset? In other words can you overclock i850E to accept FSB800?
    I have an Asus P4T533-C and would like to know if I need to change mobo to have acces to 800FSB CPU's.

That's all folks, anyone who can help will receive....
    ... all my recognition! :P
    Let those who want to be simple, be simple.

I guess you'd have to find rambus pc1600 modules to even try something like this...and I doubt they exist...

Comment

I doubt it will do it. The FSB on P4T533-C runs@133MHz/100MHz normally. 200 is a huge difference!

Maybe you can try if you have the board. I think there is a OC protection feature on the mobo. (Don't quite me on that tho)

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
        I guess you'd have to find rambus pc1600 modules to even try something like this...and I doubt they exist...
        Actually he would need "only" PC1200 modules. Rambus memory controler in i840 had also x3 multiplier, so it could support PC600 memory when runing FSB @ 100 MHz.

As I understand Intel didn't change RDRAM controler in subsequent chipsets (i850 & i860). That implies i850 could run memory bus @ 600MHz (3x200MHz) only if CPU and rest of the logic withstands 200MHz at quad-pumped regime (800MHz).

I sincerely doubt that it will work reliable, but you could try for fun. Just assure proper (active) cooling for chipset and rest of the system, and keep in mind that it is a risky busines.

Comment

Well I do own a board like that and I do have access to a P4 2.4C (800FSB) that would be hell of an upgrade if I could just swap my "old" 2.26 for a CPU running 800FSB, not that it will accelerate my word or exell programs tho :P
          My box is easily opened but they're is a huge pile of craps just on it so I'll have to dig to get to the computer. If I have time I'll do that and post the results.
          Oh yeas BTW, I'm not quite sure memmory controler and cpu clock/frequency are still related. For exemple, I sold ALOT of computers to people willing to buy 800FSB CPU's with 865P equiped boards but not willing to spend money to have use of the Dual DDR capacities let alone the DDR400 speed.
          These days I never get astonished anymore regarding the stupidities people are willing to do and how stupid it is... pff all wanabees... :P
          Let those who want to be simple, be simple.

Comment

rember the P4 boards that used Sdram?
            there was a lot of those sold to people who wanted a 2gh cpu but not to pay for the expensive rambus (or DDR)
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ssin
              Oh yeas BTW, I'm not quite sure memmory controler and cpu clock/frequency are still related.
              I'm not quite sure what did you mean by that.

NetBurst architecture is pretty dependant on system memory throughput/latency. Having P4 PC, in general, it is more beneficial to upgrade to faster memory then 200-400 MHz faster CPU.

Regarding your question/problem, memory clock is tighten to a front side bus clock so if you buy CPU that runs on 800MHz FSB your "overclock experiment" will be limited by two factors: memory modules and chipset/maiboard itself.

With PC1200 RIMMs, some extreem cooling solution (espexially chipset) and exceptionally sable power supply maybe you could hit magic number, but considering costs and uncertain succes of such project you'll be probably beter with new mainboard.
              Last edited by magician; 21 September 2003, 11:01.

Comment

Working...
              X