Japanese floppy standard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese floppy standard.

How compatible are the japanese floppy drives with US hardware and vice-versa.
    I need to replace a floppy drive in a controller for a japanese machine - and the machine manufacturer (SodicK) wants $1500 US for an new floppy.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Are 3.5 inch floppie drives universial?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Nope, I know there is a difference in Japan... but that is an awfull lot for a floppy (then again, IBM estimated the price of a fan for an older server around the same price)...

Sasq will most likely be able to tell more...

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Japanese 3.5" floppies are 2.88 MB disks ... or something like that.

Have you searched PriceWatch? Googled it?

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I've tried googling, not too much info.
          I do know they are 1.2M, and I've heard that they may turn at a different speed???
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

wow, that's crazy. Any way you can "borrow" one and transfer all the data to a US format?

Comment

I wonder if an Amiga HD floppy drive would work? Seriously though, if it's just a regular floppy you can go to www.pricewatch.com, click on the floppy drive button, then search for mode 3 and you'll find some drives that say they're compatible.
              Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 17 September 2003, 12:46.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Jon, I'll have a look

Comment

Yep. It's just the "mode 3" thing. The drives are more expensive, but not THAT much more expensive. Like $25 instead of $5.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Re: Japanese floppy standard.

Originally posted by gt40
                    How compatible are the japanese floppy drives with US hardware and vice-versa.
                    I need to replace a floppy drive in a controller for a japanese machine - and the machine manufacturer (SodicK) wants $1500 US for an new floppy.
                    I reckon they don't do a massive trade in replacements. What a rip off.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Let see... for 1500 US, you can get...

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
                      Asus K8N (or something)
                      512MB DDR SDRAM
                      ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 128MB
                      Plextor DVD+/-RW
                      DVD-ROM
                      US Floppy Drive
                      A great 430W PSU
                      A nice chessis

or

a Japanese Floppy drive

Comment

a 1.44 is the same as far as I know, I havn't seen many 2.88's on the shelves so I have no idea.

Well, lets put it this way, i buy a japanese drive, and plug it into my Australian bought mobo - and it works.

Dan
                        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Most mainboards are compatible with both 1.44, 2.88, and Mode 3 floppies. It's an option in the BIOS.

AZ
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Unfortunetly this mobo is a proprietary epson with some special hardware on some special bus that I haven't seen before (and a 286 cpu)-there is no option in the bios must be a jumper somewhere)- also the floppy needs to have jumpers for drive select - there is no twist at the end of the cable.

Comment

just put a twist cable in
                              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                              X