Check my math, please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check my math, please...

We were trying to calculate how the latest model Cray X1 supercomputer compares to the model sitting on your desk. First I want to confirm some "facts" (more like "assumptions") gleaned from our search.

One "Flop" (F) equals one computational operation;

A typical AthlonXP performs 9 Flops per clock cycle;

A typical Pentium4 performs 6 Flops per clock cycle;

(Forgive my gross oversimplifications)

Ergo a top-of-the-line AthlonXP @ 3.0 GHz performs 27 Gigaflops;

A top-of-the-line P4 @ 3.2 GHz performs 19.2 Gigaflops;

A top-of-the-line Cray X1 performs 52.4 Teraflops (52,400 Gigaflops);

Making the Cray approximately 1,941 times faster than the 3.0 GHz AthlonXP, or approximately 2,729 times faster than a 3.2 GHz P4 (ignoring the function of system memory).

Feel free to punch as many holes as necessary in my assumptions/conclusions. For instance, I don't know if my information on Athlon or Pentium operations is correct (I read the White Papers for the Athlon and the Pentium, and only succeeded in confusing the heck out of myself!).

Thanks for your attention

Kevin

FLOP = floating point operation.
    so your stuff is about floating point speed

There is other stuff like integer...etc
    and then you can factor in stuff like SSE(2) as well

But as a generalisation its probably reasonably acccurate

Comment

There is one other factor - a top of the line Athlon doesn't run at 3 Gig You would need to multiply the flops per clock by the real clock speed not the PR speed to get the true gigaflop rating.

Comment

Conclusion: The Cray should work for RT video
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

That's assuming that the Cray doesn't use a VIA chipset Brian
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I remember calculating once that a 1986 vintage Cray-2 was about equivalent to a PentiumII-400. Now aren't you glad you invested your $15 million in Microsoft and Oracle back then instead of that supercomputer?

Comment

that, reminds me.......
              to check a book that depicts cray computers
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

@KvH: that's assuming you have 15M

Comment

There is one other factor - a top of the line Athlon doesn't run at 3 Gig You would need to multiply the flops per clock by the real clock speed not the PR speed to get the true gigaflop rating.
                  Auugggghhhh! I knew that! Thanks.

Kevin

Comment

Most of my points were already stated by other members.

Also, don't forget you're not comparing apples to apples. I'm pretty sure a Cray is more than a 32 bit chip, in which case it is more capable of doing high precision in HARDWARE, whereas your athlon would have to do it in software, which would take much longer.

Comment

Working...
                    X