So long R0M and Surround Gaming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So long R0M and Surround Gaming...

Welp....seems Omar's (R0M's) position has been eliminated.
    He is being moved to a different department.
    He was the only contact M had for game developers, and most of the games we have today that support SG are because of him.
    Nobody else there makes any effort to pursue new games for SG support.
    He was also responsible for apptimizer updates, which we will probably not see many more of in the future.

I guess M doesn't see any reason to continue to support the only real gaming feature they have over the other guys.

Way to drop support on yet another great feature, Matrox...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Hey Matrox

Way to anger your customers and scare your clients away with that poor post-purchase supports of yours, and not to buy your future products.

Look at ATI / nVIDIA... dispute the fact that they cheat in drivers, they do add more functions to the graphics cards... their support is why I buy their cards after the G550.

Seeing that there are so many problems / concerns Parhelia customers have...
    1) Banding
    2) No VS2.0 drivers
    3) Took long enough to solve the problems with .NET 1.1
    4) Most of us got fouled about 64 samples AF
    5) Possibly no more SurroundGaming support (major selling point) after ~1 year of release?

Boy, I am never getting anymore Matrox products again, until you guys get things right (something you guys lacked for ~5 whole years). And even if you guys do, I am going to have doubts buying your products, seeing the amount of crap you guys made

Let's face it, it took ATI literally years to have better repetitions in their drivers. VIA... don't bother... their repetitions suck so much that I am going going to have REAL doubts to even CONSIDER buying mobos based on their chipsets.

And boy, deep down inside, Matrox's repetition is pretty close to VIA somedays. I used to love your products so much that I don't consider others... but even as an ex-super dieheart, biased fanboy I am leaving Matrox.

BTW you don't wanna be compared to VIA. I won't recommend VIA even to my biggest enemies.

Geez, get something right damn it! (and why do I even care anymore)

P.S.

HAIG for prez.
    Soupy for vice-prez.
    ROM for Matrox Police and cheif RSN engineer

Comment

Looks like Matrox is officially completely getting out of the gaming market. It's kind of logical though, in light of the fact that only an infinitesimal number of gamers use Matrox cards.

It is sad to see though, because I still remember the great performance and image quality that I used to get with my Millennium in DOS games and later with my g400 max in Direct3D...

Still, I think Matrox cards are great for everyday and business use. I'm still running my g400 max in my main "get work done" box (I've seen no reason to upgrade). However, for any sort of gaming, I have long ago given up on Matrox and have transitioned to Ati's latest offerings.

Comment

Well, whilst this is a real shame, I can see Matrox's reasoning behind it, given their market focus at the moment.

Having said that, my next card in a year or two will definitely not be a Matrox - I'll get whatever is best bang for the buck at the time with dual DVI out, and some nice TFTs to go with it.

Because with DVI-D interfaces, much of Matrox's draw for me has gone (as long as the multi-head capabilities of other drivers continue to improve as they apparently have been).
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Hope the rotten wood gets burned soon, it's been methodically killing every asset Matrox cards had over the last years.

Guess it's time to turn towards killing the OEM contracts now to make room for cheap crappy dual head sollutions from the competition and we're done with Matrox Graphics altogether.

Comment

Hi everyone. I think Matrox from about G450 model is falling down faster & faster... The next G550 was.... the true G550 it isn't good for enyone. G400MAX is better than G450 or G550.. so it was big error to sell the new models. Parhelia is coool.. but not fot this prize... So Matrox will die with this marketing. But there is coming new card from PowerVR... The series 5 is ready. About 30-50% faster than fastes ATI card, & with very nice image quality... Maybe this is future for Matrox users that got enought this crap from Matrox.
            Last edited by Nicram; 17 September 2003, 04:04.
            A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

But there is coming new card from PowerVR... The series 5 is ready. About 30-50% faster than fastes ATI card, & with very nice image quality...
              Provided they get someone to make the chips, they'll still have a hard time making/selling the cards.
              With Hercules gone the ATI way, we're left with Videologic, Suma and other quasi unknown manufacturers to make the cards and they won't have the same power to promote as Hercules.

But that's not really the point here. The point is they're killing surround gaming, something only Matrox has, from inside.

Comment

And I forgot to add: Omar - if you're reading this I hope you're OK with your new position (whatever it is). If not, I feel for you.
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Does this mean, I should hold off on upgading my triple head displays?

Comment

If one looks at his profile on their forum, it lists him as being in Developer Relations.
                    If it's true, we might get answers when mailing devrel
                    <font size="-4">User error:
                    Replace user and try again.
                    System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
                    System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
                    </font>

Comment

Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I think we can now burry all dreams about a worthy successor for the G400, which the Parhelia wasn't. I think the P2, if it ever comes, will not be a gamers card.

PS. Interesting what losing a BB batch can do to you
                        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Comment

no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by thop

PS. Interesting what losing a BB batch can do to you
                              What is that supposed to mean?

Rags

Comment

Working...
                              X