Things you must have on a computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you must have on a computer

What are those features and functions that you bitch about when you try out new software or sit at a computer and the feature is missing?

Browser: Tabs and pop-up blocking, been using Mozilla since M12 and when they released those features I broke down and cried with joy.

OS: Multiple workspaces. When I first started using Unix I wasn't used to them, but now I use them religiously in Linux. My comp at work is OS X, and the screen gets cluttered quickly.

Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

White application and window backgrounds...I just hate them. And they're default EVERYWHERE. RGB: 192.192.192, that's what I want. Blue desktop and marking are also little irritating, but bearable (I also prefer greys here, thought darker, much easier for the eyes). Oh, and no Luna please. I have yet to see theme that looks as good and polished as windows classic.
    I think also that I'd have hard time without Firebird, even though I use it for month only (recenty I often try to close some tab in other application with middle click ). And with Googlebar, please (how else could I pip Brian in New MURC game? )
    Some lightweight audio player (and rather specyfic music to play in the background), couple IMs (for ICQ, Jabber and one very popular here only)...and that would do for the beggining I guess.

Oh, and no lousy 2d, please (happened few times that I couldn't work at some machine longer then half an hour because of it, eye & head ache) or BSODs.

edit: optical mouse would be welcome too...but not necessary (normal one, but clean would be ok too - I've triedto work on few machines which because of drunk mouse were unuasable to me)
    Last edited by Nowhere; 16 September 2003, 13:03.

Comment

Browser: Opera 7.20 final.

Mouse: optical, suitable for small hands, and more than 800 dpi (It drives me nuts that my cursor jumps 2-3 pixels at a time. I want pixel-perfect accuracy, AND very high sensitivity in windows!). NOTE: If anyone finds a suitable mouse, I'd be really grateful.

At least 1152x864 resolution, 32 bpp, and 85 Hz. Sharp, of course.

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

oh right, and 85 Hz

@az: My cheap Logitech black label OEM (17€...btw, it had not for retail sale stickers all over the bag...and I bought it in salon of one of the biggest computer resellers and "producers" here...but somehow I doubt it's any different elsewhere) does its job perfectly for over a year...rather small and sensitive (since it's the cheapest possible thing it can't be 800dpi for sure...BUT no problems with accuracy and sensitivuty here
        perhaps because of very dark, mat mousepad made from textile)
        It's basically this thing, with a simpler (cheaper...) variant of casing front.
        Last edited by Nowhere; 16 September 2003, 14:18.

Comment

Hmm.. I'm using a Logitech Dual Optical, and my mouse cursor doesn't have single pixel accuracy anymore when I'm using more than medium mouse sensitivity.

AZ

Comment

I have this accuracy...and also on medium mouse sensitivity
            hmmm...

Perhaps because of mousepad? (I've bought mine in Ikea, too bad I haven't seen this kind, dark rectangular, from some time and I doubt that they could be in Germany still...Ikea is an Ikea, everywhere
            but there are still rounded ones I think...)

edit: it's certainly not so nice on plain desk...but that could be perhaps just because I'm used to move the hand on textile and I like the movement of the mouse on it (or I'm used to it...I have this mousepad for 3 years I think)...and just don't see some innacuracies.
            Last edited by Nowhere; 16 September 2003, 14:23.

Comment

To clarify: I do have single-pixel accuracy when using medium mouse sensitivity (speed). This is too slow for me though, but if I go higher, my cursor starts skipping pixels. I am using a red translucent kryptec x-board. I bought an everglide gaming mat before, but unfortunately, my cursor jumps all over the place when using that one (I really liked the feel of it though)

AZ

Comment

I use it at 5 clicks (exactly in the middle) below max in mouse control panel. It started to skip occasionally 3 clicks below max. So I guess it's all normal then after all...for 17€ I couldn't ask for more, best mouse I've used so far.

edit: somebody will be mad at as for hijacking the thread
                Last edited by Nowhere; 16 September 2003, 15:30.

Comment

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                  Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Re: Things you must have on a computer

software-things I dislike:
                    OS + software: lack of "easy", logical hotkeys
                    OS + software: bad UI (e.g. the selection of directory in windows applications still isn't fully standardized: in some applications you can't create new folders )
                    OS: tab completion in dos-box (finally default on XP) / terminal
                    - Too much animition
                    - Skins that are very complex and seems to miss out on functionality (and sometimes this is the only skin !)

hardware:
                    - I hate irresponsive systems (e.g. one click and it takes seconds (5+) before anything even changes on the display)
                    - ditto for badly tweaked systems (close linked with previous item)
                    - must have decent keyboard (I swear by Cherry)
                    - must have decent mouse (I prefer Kensington Expert Mouse - which is a trackball); you'd be suprised how many people work with a "stuttering" mouse
                    - must have monitor at least 1280x960 @85 Hz (and not fuzzy !)
                    - dual monitor is preferred if lots applications to be run

Hmm, and this is just of the top of my head... Perhaps I do bitch to much about these things....

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

personally i prefer a mug of coffee or a jug of beer ON my computer.. as long as everything inside is working..
                      Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                      ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Dual monitor setup and at least a five button mouse are my minimum spec.

Just got to try and persuade my IT dept that I need a dual monitor setup, shouldn't be too hard.

Comment

Dual monitors are a must now that I've tried it.
                          I like the multiple workspaces in Linux, but alas some of my software is only available for winblows.
                          Opera rocks!
                          and as belwarrior stated - a cup of espresso in the morning, and a cold beer at night.
                          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Hardware :

Large legible display
                            Solid KB (M)
                            Optical Mouse
                            integrated speakers (cats)
                            Silent PC
                            Best 2D and not-too-embarassing 3D
                            (most of this i have)

Software:

File System i can stick parameter, cache and static files on different drives at Setup or at least easily reconfigurable. This includes the OS.

And while you're at it native support for data CD-Rs and RWs ...... and RAID 0/1 support on a partition basis is sort of a no-brainer too.

Oh and drivers installation.... optional vanilla-install instead of run the program then spend the next few months picking marketing crap out of the registry.

At least as much control over the OS on my system as is apparently given to everybody else on the internet.

Multi-threading at the OS level : why is the user the lowest priority ?
                            Sleep/Hibernate standards all my equipment/software can agree on

Browser that plugins don't crash (Adobe Acrobat vis-a-vis Mozilla is my current peeve-du-jour)

User Support

Support Techs who don't act stupid or at least a 'no drugs' policy in the workplace : this could go a long way towards forgiving other crap.

Manticore

G400 (2nd head currently not in use)
                            RR-G (also not in use)
                            21" IBM P202 (not great in the resolution specs department, nice otherwise)
                            M Series KB (k I'm going deaf but at least I know when I've hit a key)
                            Logitech Optical Mouse (really no comparison but, product quality isn't as good as their mechanical mouse though)
                            Benwin Flat Speakers (well they look cool)
                            VIA chipset (sadly doesn't even look cool)
                            Windows Millenium (much maligned but gets the job done usually)
                            LG Combo drive (apparently the button on the front asks software if it can eject the CD/DVD ..... sometimes the software says yes, sometimes it just laughs at me)
                            CuV4x, 512MB, G400DH16

Comment

Must have:

1) Internet connectivity.
                              2) An unzip program!
                              3) A wheel mouse.
                              4) A crisp display. I'm sure I'll require two once I finally get DH going

Can't stand:

1) Most laptop keyboards. Actually, I hate most keyboards . Laptops and split keyboards screw me up royally (why would you put page up below page down???) Also, there are some new keyboards that rearrange the ins/del/pgup/pgdn/home/end block to be a vertical column without the insert key - oops.
                              As an aside, I've been using the Keytronic EO3601 series of keyboards for about 8 years now. They have a great feel - similar to some early SGI workstations - and they last forever.
                              2) Animations on menus and windows.
                              3) OS'es that think they're smarter than I am. (or are so stupid it's not funny - http://www.murc.ws/forums/showthread...threadid=44353 ).

I'm sure there's more.

oh - and I'll put in a vote for coffee as well ( http://www.retrosystem.com/2002_12_01_oldnews.shtml ).

Comment

Working...
                              X