Certification Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certification Recommendations

My professor offered me the opportunity to replace my class exams with one of these specific certifications:

- Microsoft MCSE
    - Network+
    - Novell CNA
    - Cisco CNA
    - Oracle Database Fundamentals II
    - Linux Certification (Think she was being general here)
    - Red Hat Certification

From this list and IYHO, which are:
    - most valuable
    - easiest to attain
    - best combination of time spent for value earned

What do you do now and what do you want to do in the future?

Comment

Senior in college shooting for an IT Analyst position with hopes of transitioning into Project Management.

Comment

And how much are you willing to spend?
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Re: Certification Recommendations

Originally posted by isochar
          My professor offered me the opportunity to replace my class exams with one of these specific certifications:

- Microsoft MCSE
          - Network+
          - Novell CNA
          - Cisco CNA
          - Red Hat Certification

- most valuable
          - easiest to attain
          MCSE is only good if you plan on staying in IT for a long time. If you dwell into networking or some kind of engineering position, then it will come in handy from time to time but it won't help with salary.

Network+ - Never heard of it.

Novell - Don't bother, really. WE have basically cut out IPX from all of our software on any newly developed products. It's dying quickly these days.

CNA - It's OK for begninning networking or for a support position in networking but if you plan to become an "analyst" than this will just be a small stepping stone in the beginning.

Oracle - don't know much about it, but I assume if you stay in the IT world it will come in handy. Sometimes people get an IT job that invovles suporting the network side of things as well. This could come in handy for those kinds of situations.

Linux- Very handy for any kind of IT, networking, anaylyst position. This is almost a must for the above jobs unless you stay strictly with Windows.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
            And how much are you willing to spend?
            I'm willing to consider anything in the sub $1000 price range.

Comment

scratch RH, MCSE, Cisco CNA off the list, I think Oracle might head west as well.

The others I don't know the prices of.
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

No educational discounts? Are you considering both training and testing for the cost?

Also, for those of you who have attained them, could you provide the time frame and workload it took to complete them? I have until the end of November to complete whichever path I choose...

Comment

I have the CNA. I already had a background in networking through so I just brushed up on some things and two weeks later I took it and passed.

I've looked at the MCSE in detail and it requires several months probably to study and pass.

Dave
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

MCSE cost me at the time close to $700usd in tests alone, and 4.5 months of self study, but I have a long background dealing with windows and some networking. You really don't have the time frame for that. Maybe if you could convince your examiner to allow you to do the MCSA (i think its the 4 core - not sure) you may be able to pull it off, as long as you have your own home lab.

Dan
                    Juu nin to iro

Comment

I'm currently studying for the Network+ exam for work right now. Its not that hard and if you have decent background in computers already, you should be able to pass it with a couple months of study. It costs about 200 bucks to take it. In combiantion with the A+ exam, it counts towards your MSCE, replacing one of the exams...at this time I can't remember what one. I already have my A+ (which is pretty much just an exam to test your general hardware and software knowlege and was pretty easy to pass when I took it since it had mostly DOS/Win3.1 stuff in it ) and IIRC both exams are good for life and you dont have to worry about getting your exams updated like you do with Microsoft.
                      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Re: Certification Recommendations

Originally posted by isochar

- Microsoft MCSE
                        - Network+
                        - Novell CNA
                        - Cisco CNA
                        - Red Hat Certification

- most valuable
                        - easiest to attain
                        MCSE - Expensive, time consuming, but the best you can get for the future. Beware though, if you get an MCSE without a lot of work experience you will be considered a paper MCSE and shunned. If you don't have a lot of computer tech work experience, I wouldn't go for it.

Network+ - I studied for 2 week and took the test. Under $200 and a cake walk. Memorize your 7-layer OSI model and various other networking factoids and meanings and you're set. This cert is from the same people that do the A+ cert.

Novel CSA - Novell is going to way of the dinasour. Nuff said.

Cisco CNA - CCNA is always a great one to have. It's on my list of certs to get. I hear it's not that hard to get, you just need to study hard and get some router work in, either real or simulated. Going beyond gets exponentially tougher from what I hear.

Oracle - Skip it unless you plan to be a DB programmer for the rest of your life.

Linux/Red Hat - I suppose it depends on what you plan on doing in the future. Get these certs only if you have a decent amount of Linux knowledge already stored inside your head, and plan on doing some Linux server stuff in the future. I know some poeple that have gotten Linux certified, and they liked knowing it, but in a corporate IT environment it's not very helpful.

In order of best bang for your buck, ease of obtaining and usefulness, I would put them in this order:

1. Cisco CNA
                        2. Network+
                        3. Linux/Red Hat
                        4. MCSE (This low only because it's NOT ease to get and very expensive, although it is very useful).
                        5. Oracle
                        6. Novell

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

A+ and Network+ don't expire per se, but lots of places want you to have passed them recently. Bleh.

- Gurm
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

Re: Re: Certification Recommendations

Thanks guys, I'll take a closer look at the CCNA & the Network+. On a side note, if I can somehow talk my teacher into allowing the lower level Microsoft certifications, which would be most applicable to my career? (MCSA?)

Comment

Working...
                            X