Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shall I forget about W2k with my Marvel200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shall I forget about W2k with my Marvel200?

I want to figure out status quo with the W2k drivers. Are those betas stable and provide the complete functionality as the W98 drivers do?
    Thanks for replies.

no. no. response to your topic: yes.

Comment

Thanks, Coolfish! I guess I got you right. Unstable drivers, limited applications, that's all that Matrox can offer for my poor old Marvel G200.
      At least I can safe money on W2000

Comment

Whoa, whoa!! Not entirely true. The graphics drivers are plenty stable. I've been running on the one that came with Win2K and haven't had a problem with it. It's the digital video drivers that you shouldn't count on. Forget about Matrox Video Tools entirely.

Currently, I have my setup running Win98SE on the C: drive (a 20GB partition on my first physical drive) and Win2K on the D: drive (a 5.5 GB partition taking up the rest of my first drive). Installing Win2K second automatically makes this a dual-boot scenario, and it works beautifully. I do all of my business work and firewire editing under Win2K; I switch back to Win98SE to do anything involving MPEG or MJPEG (or Half-Life, for that matter). It once again depends on what you need to do.

Comment

Further note: I am using a Marvel G200-TV.

Comment

Migrating to W2000 was intended to solve a couple of problems.
            First, I want to boost my system a bit, which W2000 is supposed to do.
            Second, I am concerned about security. And I hope that W2000 is beter in this sence, as it is half NT system.
            But I also want to edit my video and watch TV from time to time.

Anyway, thank you for reply.

Comment

If you want to be able to do all that under Win2K, I'd recommend the ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon. It has support for Win2k out of the box, and the hardware support for DVD decoding is superb.

BTW, I'm still a Matrox fan, my G200 is in the other machine now.

AlgoRhythm

Comment

if you really want to use 2k to edit and not buy a new card, you can just capture in 98, then use the morgan codec or another mjpeg software codec to edit in 2k with very minimal loss. this is what i just set up on my neighbor's computer

Comment

Working...
                X