Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting discovery at English University.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting discovery at English University.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Yuor rghit. Naet.

JN1G

Comment

What if you read phrases? Is the word order irrelevant as long as the first and last word are correct?

Comment

Of you course are! On hand other the, is this maybe not correct.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

It's true, even as a non native english, I was able to read you without any trouble.
          Err by the way, some people really have too muche time on their hands :/
          System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Thop, that's fascinating!

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Mayby I should scan a "problem description" from one of our customers to show that some people think that repeated wave formations is actualy letters making up senteces
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

No doubt that this profound discovery was the result of a ten-year research project involving hundreds of people and costing £5 million of taxpayers' money. As an incidental benefit, two or three more PhDs are let loose on the public to waste even more money (doctors get higher salaries than research students) on futilities.
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                  No doubt that this profound discovery was the result of a ten-year research project involving hundreds of people and costing £5 million of taxpayers' money. As an incidental benefit, two or three more PhDs are let loose on the public to waste even more money (doctors get higher salaries than research students) on futilities.
                  You don't get it Brian.
                  This study explanes my entire grade school experience.
                  Thanks God!

chuck
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

It msut be ture snice I cuold raed the frist psot wohtiut any pblorem (even wtih my sitthy Eglsnih, ecpiseally tihs one )

Seriously...I can remember that I had sometimes messed up very similar words (difference only in the middle, and don't worry, the same context, I try to think when I read ) during reading...must be related.
                    Last edited by Nowhere; 13 September 2003, 04:44.

Comment

No no no.

This has to do with the fact that our brains are VERY good at error correction. It's true that we're less concerned with what order the letters are in a word and more concerned with which letters there are... but if you put all the wrong letters in you won't know what word it is, in spite of the first and last letter being correct.

Now, dyslexics on the other hand would just crap themselves outright over that example. Much like they do over normal english.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Exactly. And it wouldn't really work well without context. We guess a lot more than we actually read (which is one of the reasons it took me so long to realize I need glasses).

AZ
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yes i think context is very important and i reading is more of a pattern matching anyway than actually reading.

I still think it's kinda amazing.
                          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Wow, that's really cool, never thought about this before.

Comment

Then there are those of us who were taught speed-reading in middle school. Drives my wife nuts....

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                              X