mainboards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mainboards...

I need recommendations for good, inexpensive, reliable, name brand mainboards for Athlon XP.

DrMordrid, did that one mainboard you where telling me about in another post last month make it to the distro channels yet? sis740 from MSI I think?

thank you.
    Last edited by Hpar_; 9 September 2003, 11:52.

If you want SiS the good and very cheap choices are I think:
    AsRock K7S8X (SiS 746fx chipset)
    AsRock K7S8XE (SiS 748, the same as above but adds official 200mhz fsb support, so it will support all Socket A cpu's thet were/will ever be produced, including the most recent most powerfull models)
    There are other boards out there, but you'd have to be in Japan probably to be able to buy them (Sasq mentioned in one thread about some MSI based on SiS 748...) And I guess they're not so cheap...(they're not here definetely, even "old" MSI 746F on SiS 746fx costs...too much)

Comment

Asus A7N8X-X
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

The DFI 748-AL SiS748 board got a good review from Anandtech. AOpens AK76F-400N also looks good.

Still haven't seen the MSI 748 Delta in this area though it's for sale in Japan.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 September 2003, 17:22.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

what if I keep looking for the sis 745 chipset boards? I found one for 25$ from asus! but these people dont answer their phone so I dont know what to think about that.

thanks.

Comment

From what I know it doesn't have voltage controls, or at least vcore.

The MSI board's the best 745 you could find. The ECS K7S6A's supposed to be good too, though I don't know if they updated the bios to fully support 166(333) CPU fsb.

Comment

Why not go for 748?

Comment

Chrono_Wanderer,

to be honest with you I dont really need the latest and greatest. I need best bang for the bux. the only thing I would like is usb 2.0 onboard. is there an sis745 board with usb 2.0??

thanks again.

Hpar_

Comment

Not a big deal. USB2 PCI cards are cheap.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

then my vote go to A7N8X-X!

Comment

the best bang for the bux seems to be that msi 745 ultra at 44$ with the shipping.

is there any objections to that choice??

thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X