Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sick of Windows Messenger - any alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick of Windows Messenger - any alternatives?

Hi all,

Spent ages trying to get a video converation going across the Internet with Windows Messenger. Audio and Video would work for a few seconds and drop out, sometimes we'd get video working but no sound... aaarrrggghhh.

Eventually got NetMeeting to work just fine if I connected directly to the other end's IP address.

There must be something better than this.

Suggestions please.

Taliska
    Gigabyte GA-8KNXP, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1Gbyte DDR400 RAM
    Matrox P750, Matrox RT.X10
    2x Maxtor 120G & 1x 300G SATA drives, Panasonic DVD-RAM drive
    Windows XP Pro, Premiere Pro 7.0

Try Yahoo Messenger?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Yahoo messenger probably has the best video chat of any "common" or "general purpose" messenger. There are special programs like ICUII or CUCMe (spelling?) but Yahoo is certainly a good sight better than Microsoft.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Windows messenger is great for fixing friends computers though. I jsut fixed a bunch of crap on my buddies computer in Hawaii via remote control. I love remote control, it's so great.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I think there is a free Trillian v0.7...

But the contact list is kinda messy IMO

Comment

Trillian 2 is coming
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Miranda has a Netmeeting Plugin, which should work better than your vanilla Netmeeting or Messenger.

When you are injured and receive a settlement, you will likely receive the money in a structured settlement. This means that the money will be paid out over time instead of all at once. There are many reasons why people choose to receive their payments this way. Structured settlements can help protect you from financial ... Read more

<font size="-4">User error:
              Replace user and try again.
              System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
              System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
              </font>

Comment

Yahoo Messenger. Love it. Hate MSN.
                "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

You know, too bad that you all would have very harsh time trying one great communicator...
                  WPKontakt is a IM program of one of two biggest portals here (though it's not the most popular, this status belongs to some crappy one...oh well, what to do). Technically it's pretty nice, Powered by Jabber and so on (server of this IM client is a normal Jabber one, communicating with others and to which you can connect with other Jabber clients
                  btw, WP not only developes WPKontakt, they're also developing their opensourced server, which is one of the best)
                  It has audio and video conferencing...and it's pretty good at it (has to be, most people here have crappy connections; it uses Speex besides other methods...)
                  Has transport to icq.

And two downsides for you are...can connect only to its own server (though technically nothing prohibits it from connecting to others, it would be slight change to the code only) and, you guessed it, doesn't have English version.
                  I'd imagine that WP doesn't have any interest in changing that
                  Which is really too bad...though I thought couple of times about petition or something...

Oh, and believe, it's really good. Tried all of the above, and I'm using miranda actively also, so I guess I know what I'm talking about.

p.s. If somebody wants to try it, let me know, I'll write short tuturial. Oh, and if default skin makes you sick, it can be turned off completely..
                  Last edited by Nowhere; 10 September 2003, 06:59.

Comment

i suggest yahoo messenger too...easy to use
                    I'm a genie in a bottle BABY, gotta rub ME the right way!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X