ICS and shared folders problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICS and shared folders problem

I'll try to explain this as best I can. Please bear with me as I really need to solve this urgently.

A friends network has 5 PCs, all connected to a hub and one PC (host) has an ADSL line. He has been doing ICS fine for ages and sharing a drive on a machine called 'server'. We removed ICS whilst trying to get a new ethernet ADSL modem working and then put the old modem (Alcatel USB) back and re-enabled ICS. The trouble is the shared drive can no longer be found.

On the host machine, when we turn on ICS, it gives the local area connection an IP of 192.168.0.1, mask of 255.255.255.0 and puts nothing in the gateway or dns server boxes.

On a client PC, if we set it to use DHCP, it gets 192.168.2.x and of course cannot browse the web. If we manually configure it to 192.168.0.88 (for example) then the alcatel modem connection magically appears and we can browse the web, but still not access the shared drive on 'server'.

All suggestions on how to fix this gratefully received.

TIA

T.
    FT.

You have shared the connection with the right device haven't you??
    The dns entries should come from your isp by dhcp to the gateway machine. Your ip range is funny as well it should give the range 192.168.0.xxx.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

there is another nic, but it has something like 192.168.0.5 so that's not the prob.

BT is the isp. I agree that the IP range on the client is wrong. what could cause that?
      FT.

Comment

Well I spent several hours last night researching this, and didn't sleep all night, suffering a severe headache. When I got there this morning I found he had managed to solve it at about 1am. My plan was to disable the spare nic, uninstall ICS & the adapter and reinstall them, then configure each client PC to use DHCP, double checking the DNS suffix & lmhosts file, and reset the tcp/ip stack.
        His solution was to disable the spare nic and reconfigure each machine manually. It wasn't until all the machines were reconfigured that any of them would play ball properly.

I spent an hour on the phone with him before posting last night. The trouble was he wasn't able to get to all of the PCs at the time (and doesn't really understand what he is doing)...next time we'll know better.

I think I'm only gonna manage a few hours at work today before I have to go home and crash.

T.
        FT.

Comment

Working...
        X